Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex The Check Spending Power tool

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex The Check Spending Power tool

Hi All-

I currently have Amex Platinum and Amex Rose Gold charge cards. Both open less than a year. This morning, I used the Amex The Check Spending Power tool. When I entered the amount, I was denied. The amount was only $2,000. I did this on both cards. I have used this tool before just to verify that a charge will go through with no issues.

Now, I’m wondering if a Financial Review will occur? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Should I call Amex and see what happened? If I call, will that trigger the financial review?
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex The Check Spending Power tool

From what I’ve read, FR will get triggered if you put in increasing amounts to try to find out what your max is, not if you check and are denied for a purchase amount. 

The system expects that you’re actually checking for a purchase you will be doing, not seeing the max you can purchase. 

Unless you put multiple amounts until you got to the ceiling, I would say not to worry about it. 

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Should I call Amex and see what happened?
Message 3 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!

No, dont sweat FR, it wont happen . Leave it alone, you'll be fine 

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!

If you are wanting to make that purchase, it could be worth a call to see why they won’t allow you to do so. As to whether they will increase that limit or not, I cannot say. 

Message 5 of 43
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi All-

I currently have Amex Platinum and Amex Rose Gold charge cards. Both open less than a year. This morning, I used the Amex The Check Spending Power tool. When I entered the amount, I was denied. The amount was only $2,000. I did this on both cards. I have used this tool before just to verify that a charge will go through with no issues.

Now, I’m wondering if a Financial Review will occur? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Should I call Amex and see what happened? If I call, will that trigger the financial review?

When I was new here I constantly played with the check spending power to test out my max. I did that for a couple months until I saw that it was a bad idea. Never had anything happen.

You will be fine. It's not supposed to be played with but amex expects people will see what they can charge to a certain extent. Its the whole reason it exists.

If you would like to make a charge for $2000 I would give them a call and ask for authorization for the charge to be granted.

$2000 seems really low for charging power for cards that don't appear to be brand new accounts. Do you not use your cards much ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do use my cards in order to qualify for the promotional points. So far, the platinum I have total charged is $2,800 since I opened it. The Rose, a total of $945.
Message 7 of 43
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I do use my cards in order to qualify for the promotional points. So far, the platinum I have total charged is $2,800 since I opened it. The Rose, a total of $945.

So the accounts are under 90 days then ?

That could be the reason. I would still call and ask to be approved for the $2000

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

The platinum was opened in December 18. And rose gold opened in November 18.
Message 9 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I’ve read, FR will get triggered if you put in increasing amounts to try to find out what your max is

Pretty sure that is a myth, as are many others in the list of things that trigger an FR.   What would be the point of that logic? FRs cost time and money for Amex.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.