Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex The Check Spending Power tool

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Amex The Check Spending Power tool

I've had the AMEX Platinum card since last July. I had never used the "Check Spending" tool so last week I punched in a random number just out of curiosity.

Bam! Instantly approved to spend $35K on the card!

Needless to say, I didn't do that and was rather surprised that my random request was approved. I had been spending more than $5K per month on the card for a while, so perhaps that helped. Clearly, YMMV!

Message 11 of 43
NRB525
Super Contributor

What do your Platinum and Gold card statements show as your Pay Over Time limit? That should give an easy indication of how much would be approved.

Mine is $35,000 and from what I have read, that seems rather common. They would love to get 20% APR on $35k
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I’ve read, FR will get triggered if you put in increasing amounts to try to find out what your max is

Pretty sure that is a myth, as are many others in the list of things that trigger an FR.   What would be the point of that logic? FRs cost time and money for Amex.

The DPs that I have read that suggested it say otherwise, I don’t have personal experience with it. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=amex+check+spending+power+financial+review+site:ficoforums.myfico.com

Message 13 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I’ve read, FR will get triggered if you put in increasing amounts to try to find out what your max is

Pretty sure that is a myth, as are many others in the list of things that trigger an FR.   What would be the point of that logic? FRs cost time and money for Amex.

The DPs that I have read that suggested it say otherwise, I don’t have personal experience with it. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=amex+check+spending+power+financial+review+site:ficoforums.myfico.com

It's a myth. I think Pooka was summoned on a few occasions to shed some light on it. 

However, there has to be an expectation on their end that you're at least planning a purchase vs * Oh lookie, a button, I wonder what it does*

Message 14 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a myth. I think Pooka was summoned on a few occasions to shed some light on it. 

However, there has to be an expectation on their end that you're at least planning a purchase vs * Oh lookie, a button, I wonder what it does*

+1

Yeah, there is at least one video blogger spreading erroneous info about that. 

The folks here are quite familiar with how this works and generally give good advice on it.

Message 15 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:
What do your Platinum and Gold card statements show as your Pay Over Time limit? That should give an easy indication of how much would be approved.

Mine is $35,000 and from what I have read, that seems rather common. They would love to get 20% APR on $35k

Not always, unfortunately. 

My POT limit is also $35k, but when I check the 'link' for a $1k purchase I'm told they'll approve a purchase up to $4100, which is usually suitable for me (I don't use my Gold card that often).

From what I understand people who have added POT more recently have POT limits more in-line with what they could reasonably expect to use.

Message 16 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I take it S***y is like the Voldemort of myFICO?

I did notice that there were multiple results that went there in my first Google search so I did a myFICO site search to remove them. 

Message 17 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I take it S***y is like the Voldemort of myFICO?

I did notice that there were multiple results that went there in my first Google search so I did a myFICO site search to remove them. 

I wouldn't say that... he's just really mistaken on some things.

Message 18 of 43
redpat
Senior Contributor

It looks like they have you on a 5k limit.  

We don’t know your scores but that could be the problem.  They may want to see some payment history before increasing your charge limit.

As others have said, give them a call.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW I applied for the Gold last month and used the spending power tool like 30 minutes after approval (didnt even receive the card yet). Entered 10k and it was approved. My POT limit however is only 3k. That was my first AMEX card.
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.