Did you mean: 

Amex The Check Spending Power tool

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Amex The Check Spending Power tool

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi All-

I currently have Amex Platinum and Amex Rose Gold charge cards. Both open less than a year. This morning, I used the Amex The Check Spending Power tool. When I entered the amount, I was denied. The amount was only $2,000. I did this on both cards. I have used this tool before just to verify that a charge will go through with no issues.

Now, I’m wondering if a Financial Review will occur? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Should I call Amex and see what happened? If I call, will that trigger the financial review?

OP, have you used the Spending Power button for specific charges with these cards, gotten approvals, and then used the card for the charge amount?

What are those amounts you checked Spending Power?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Do not play with it."
Message 22 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
"Do not play with it."

I know that you have said this before and I certainly appreciate your expertise but I still don’t see any evidence that any kind of adverse action has taken place because an Amex card holder uses the check spending power link frequently.  Are you saying that Amex will do so for using the feature?  Seems ridiculous that they would put an easily accessible link to check without any kind of warning about over using and then take some kind of AA.  Despite all these warnings about doing so I still don’t think an FR will arise by using the feature.  

Message 23 of 43
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I take it S***y is like the Voldemort of myFICO?

I did notice that there were multiple results that went there in my first Google search so I did a myFICO site search to remove them. 

I wouldn't say that... he's just really mistaken on some things.

+1 I agree with UncleB...but I think he's mistaken on a lot of things.  

Message 24 of 43
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I may be mistaken, but it seems two things are getting conflated.

@Pooka89 is saying not to "play" with it.
@Pooka89 did NOT say to avoid "using" it.

From what I've heard, and @Pooka89 can correct me, but "playing" with the button means checking your spending power multiple times and with ever increasing amounts in a short period of time to see what your "high limit" might be. While doing so might help your curiosity, the tool is meant for you to forecast a large pending purchase (within the next week) and also alerts AMEX fraud department to expect that purchase to occur.

Unfortunately, playing with the tool is also a way for those who intend to "bust out" with the account, so it does trigger the fraud department which might incur a financial review to see if you really can afford the large purchases you've been signalling.

By all means, use the tool, but it's best to use it when you legitimately need to know if a large purchase will be approved.
Message 25 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

@Pooka89 did not say not to "use" it.

From what I've heard, and @Pooka89 can correct me, but "playing" with the button means checking your spending power multiple times and with ever increasing amounts in a short period of time to see what your "high limit" might be. While doing so might help your curiosity, the tool is meant for you to forecast a large pending purchase (within the next week) and also alerts AMEX fraud department to expect that purchase to occur.

Unfortunately, playing with the tool is also a way for those who expect to "bust out" with the account, so it does trigger the fraud department which might incur a financial review to see if you really can afford the large purchases you've been signalling.

By all means, use the tool, but it's best to use it when you legitimately need to know if a large purchase will be approved.

OK, so I then retract my "It's a myth" comment.    My free of charge suggestion to Amex would be improve the interface to prevent innocents causing concern, e.g. require a date when you plan to make the purchase and limit the use per day or something (ETA, I see they do this).  While it's clear to Amex how they meant it to be used ("Is it likely that this purchase will be approved?") and they expect users to understand that, in the current state many users (most of MyFico) view it as a tool to answer the question: "Oh, how much will they allow me to spend?" with no intention of spending anything like the max amount.

Basically, change the name "Check Spending Power" which really invokes the second interpretation.  "Will my purchase be approved?" would be a better label!

Actually, not free of charge.  $200.

Message 26 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I’ve read, FR will get triggered if you put in increasing amounts to try to find out what your max is

Pretty sure that is a myth, as are many others in the list of things that trigger an FR.   What would be the point of that logic? FRs cost time and money for Amex.

The DPs that I have read that suggested it say otherwise, I don’t have personal experience with it. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=amex+check+spending+power+financial+review+site:ficoforums.myfico.com

It's a myth. I think Pooka was summoned on a few occasions to shed some light on it. 

However, there has to be an expectation on their end that you're at least planning a purchase vs * Oh lookie, a button, I wonder what it does*

+1

Yeah, there is at least one video blogger spreading erroneous info about that. 

The folks here are quite familiar with how this works and generally give good advice on it.

I've played with it quite a bit Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

CYSP AmEx.jpg

Message 27 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

@Pooka89 did not say not to "use" it.

From what I've heard, and @Pooka89 can correct me, but "playing" with the button means checking your spending power multiple times and with ever increasing amounts in a short period of time to see what your "high limit" might be. While doing so might help your curiosity, the tool is meant for you to forecast a large pending purchase (within the next week) and also alerts AMEX fraud department to expect that purchase to occur.

Unfortunately, playing with the tool is also a way for those who expect to "bust out" with the account, so it does trigger the fraud department which might incur a financial review to see if you really can afford the large purchases you've been signalling.

OK, so I then retract my "It's a myth" comment.    My free of charge suggestion to Amex would be improve the interface to prevent innocents causing concern, e.g. require a date when you plan to make the purchase and limit the use per day or something (ETA, I see they do this).  While it's clear to Amex how they meant it to be used ("Is it likely that this purchase will be approved?") and they expect users to understand that, in the current state many users (most of MyFico) view it as a tool to answer the question: "Oh, how much will they allow me to spend?" with no intention of spending anything like the max amount.

Basically, change the name "Check Spending Power" which really invokes the second interpretation.  "Will my purchase be approved?" would be a better label!

Actually, not free of charge.  $200.

Whoops.  I'm sorry.  I'll have to use a different CC.  My "Check Your Spending Power" for $200 was declined Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Give me your login, I'll check for you
Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that using the tool will flag your account for a financial review by any means. What I meant was, I have seen many people who did "play" with it, as in consecutively request amounts until the system locked them out. Each time I saw an account in that status, the authorization system flagged their account, which was always subsequently acknowledged by a representative in the responsible lending group (the group that initiates FR's). While it's not a surefire way to trigger one, you are, so to say "raising your hand" when using it like a toy.

Hope this clarifies Smiley Happy
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.