Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Upgrade Question

tag
furthur
Regular Contributor

Amex Upgrade Question

Hey all, last year I was approved for the Hilton Honors Ascend card with a 1k SL. It hasn't gotten any credit limit increase, however today I did get it upgraded to the Aspire card since I am traveling a lot more and can make use of the additional benefits it provides, even with a low limit.

My question is, I've read that the minimum SL for the Aspire card is $3,100. Since my Ascend card that is being upgraded only has a $1,000 limit, is there going to be a CLI along with it or will it be an Aspire with a 1k limit? I did confirm with Amex that the upgrade went through fine, and there is no issues at all with my account standing. Just wondering since the annual fee would be almost half the card's limit...

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Upgrade Question

When it comes to [AmEx] revolver upgrades, the CL technically remains the same.  When did you last submit or request for a CLI?  If you had submitted any in the past, what was the reason for the decline?  Is this your only AmEx revolver?

Message 2 of 18
furthur
Regular Contributor

I've tried a few times over the past year. I had a serious delinquincy a couple years ago that they do not like.

I have a Gold Delta Skymiles card that was approved the same day last year, also at 1k limit.

@FinStar wrote:

When it comes to [AmEx] revolver upgrades, the CL technically remains the same.  When did you last submit or request for a CLI?  If you had submitted any in the past, what was the reason for the decline?  Is this your only AmEx revolver?

Message 3 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

How can one have a Hilton Aspire card, with a $450 annual fee, on a $1k credit line?

I guess this may test the offering of AMEX that revolver cards can exceed the stated CL as long as you pay it below the CL by the statement payment due date.

Alternatively, you use the Hilton card at a swanky resort, and take the card down to the registration desk daily to "close out the night". Then when the charge posts in two days, pay that with an instant transfer of funds? Or ask the desk if they can take a check to pay the AMEX card? Smiley Sad

Here's hoping you get a nice CLI.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525, I agree with your theory but the counterpoint is, Amex May simply decide on the limit based on profile as always, and if they deem a $1000 SL to be all that’s appropriate, it can be explained as “OP knew the AF going into the app, and if they have no issue paying an AF of $450, then actually doing so shouldn’t be a problem. AF hits, OP pays it, and has full use of the SL”.

I would like to think though that Amex would have a higher SL for its big-fee cards than for the free/$95 ones. OP, please share your results when you have them. This may make a difference for future applicants in deciding which way to go.
Message 5 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

How can one have a Hilton Aspire card, with a $450 annual fee, on a $1k credit line?

I guess this may test the offering of AMEX that revolver cards can exceed the stated CL as long as you pay it below the CL by the statement payment due date.

Alternatively, you use the Hilton card at a swanky resort, and take the card down to the registration desk daily to "close out the night". Then when the charge posts in two days, pay that with an instant transfer of funds? Or ask the desk if they can take a check to pay the AMEX card? Smiley Sad

Here's hoping you get a nice CLI.

Is the fee waived the first year?   Because the CARD Act requires that the first year fee in no more than 25% of the initial CL.......

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ interesting, I was not aware of that. And no, Aspire does not waive the fee that I know of.

That would mean that it would have a minimum $1800 CL.

How then do those vulture cards get away with it? There are some that offer a $300 SL but have a $175 AF and other BS fees, and they’ll even tell you when you get the card it’ll have like $37 available. It arrives at almost 90% UTI...
Message 7 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
^^^ interesting, I was not aware of that. And no, Aspire does not waive the fee that I know of.

That would mean that it would have a minimum $1800 CL.

How then do those vulture cards get away with it? There are some that offer a $300 SL but have a $175 AF and other BS fees, and they’ll even tell you when you get the card it’ll have like $37 available. It arrives at almost 90% UTI...

@Anonymous - I'm not sure how this quantifies as a "vulture card".  This was an upgrade from an existing product which already had an AF.   So this isn't an issue that's more prevalent with "fee harvester" lenders or CCs like First Premier, for instance.   Plus, the OP seems to have been fully aware of the AF upfront, so this was strictly a voluntary action.   In upgrading the product, AmEx is compliant by providing the OP notification of the new T&Cs prior to making the change and with regard to the AF.   Consequently, the upgrade in it of itself doesn't necessarily translate into a CLI, unfortunately.

So, technically, by the CARD Act provisions, this isn't the first year of cardmembership as the OP had the existing product albeit a different version.

Also, AFAIK, a portion of the AF can be offset by the resort statement credits. 

Message 8 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous - I'm not sure how this quantifies as a "vulture card".  This was an upgrade from an existing product which already had an AF.   So this isn't an issue that's more prevalent with "fee harvester" lenders or CCs like First Premier, for instance.   Plus, the OP seems to have been fully aware of the AF upfront, so this was strictly a voluntary action.   In upgrading the product, AmEx is compliant by providing the OP notification of the new T&Cs prior to making the change and with regard to the AF.   Consequently, the upgrade in it of itself doesn't necessarily translate into a CLI, unfortunately.

So, technically, by the CARD Act provisions, this isn't the first year of cardmembership as the OP had the existing product albeit a different version.

Also, AFAIK, a portion of the AF can be offset by the resort statement credits. 

I don't think he was saying the OP's Aspire was a vulture card, so much as he was pondering how the 25% rule applies to actual vulture cards.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrDisco99 is right - I don’t think the Aspire is a vulture at all. I was referring to those unsolicited mailers that try and sucker you in at 36% and kill you in fees. Can’t even remember the names but they make the Fortiva card look like a prime lender lol.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.