Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex advice needed

Back in March I product-changed my Optima to Blue.    Last year, I paid a $35 AF on the Optima.  I did the product change prior to the AF being assessed this year.

Yesterday, I noticed a $49 credit on my Blue account...  "Adjust Membership Fee".

Since there is no AF for Blue, I'm assuming they're issuing a credit for the Optima AF.    But the amount is different than last year, so I am not entirely sure.   And again, I was not charged an AF this year.

I'm uncomfortable with a credit that I'm not owed, but at the same time do not want to call Amex unless I absolutely have to.    I'd rather not give them a reason to look any more closely at me than they already do.

So.. question:   Would you ignore the credit and let them catch their own mistake?   Or would you call and show them what a great (ha) customer you are by pointing out that you're not owed that $49.   

Makes me nervous.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex advice needed

@Anonymous wrote:

Back in March I product-changed my Optima to Blue.    Last year, I paid a $35 AF on the Optima.  I did the product change prior to the AF being assessed this year.

Yesterday, I noticed a $49 credit on my Blue account...  "Adjust Membership Fee".

Since there is no AF for Blue, I'm assuming they're issuing a credit for the Optima AF.    But the amount is different than last year, so I am not entirely sure.   And again, I was not charged an AF this year.

I'm uncomfortable with a credit that I'm not owed, but at the same time do not want to call Amex unless I absolutely have to.    I'd rather not give them a reason to look any more closely at me than they already do.

So.. question:   Would you ignore the credit and let them catch their own mistake?   Or would you call and show them what a great (ha) customer you are by pointing out that you're not owed that $49.   

Makes me nervous.

Seems like a no-brainer to meSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 21
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is credit for the AF from Optima. My advice dont call Amex. You'll get into head ache and might close your card or do FR like they wanted to do for me. I told them to close all my cards.
Message 3 of 21
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So.. question: Would you ignore the credit and let them catch their own mistake? Or would you call and show them what a great (ha) customer you are by pointing out that you're not owed that $49.

Despite the fact you'd be doing them a favor, they will likely still give you the runaround. So the question is whether wasting your time on hold and getting a headache is worth it. Amex will likely find the mistake eventually, and they certainly won't even notice your honesty much less reward you in any way for it.

Message 4 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

mjgray wrote:

...So.. question:   Would you ignore the credit and let them catch their own mistake?   Or would you call and show them what a great (ha) customer you are by pointing out that you're not owed that $49.   

Makes me nervous.

i'd say you should be more nervous about calling them.  don't call.  they'll work it out eventually.  perhaps they know something you don't -it isn't entirely clear that you are not owed this cr.  i'm afraid to call about this could only invite scrutiny. 

why call and then possibly log in to your acct just to find a CLD?  sadly they have a track record now of this type of underhanded AA, in response to a simple call to cs.  i know from first hand experience:  when i watched a cld happen to me in real time online as i was talking to a rep.  who needs that crap? 

not worth taking the chance imo.  a 49 cr is less than a farthing to amex.  at best they would merely be underwhelmed by your honesty, no brownie points for recovering 49 from their bailout money for them unfortunately.  now if it were 1,490,000 then maybe your detective work could garner a small amout of gratitude from them.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 21
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'd call but I guess I'm in the minority. Smiley Happy
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd call too. Or maybe e-mail. Very neutral, very polite, very short. Print out your statements until it's resolved, noting the ongoing error if they don't fix it right away. I'd hate to be arguing with some CSR three years from now if it resurfaced.

And I'd PIF weekly in the meantime. It would be a PITA if they decided to remove it on your statement date, and your balance suddenly wound up $49 higher (at the correct level) than it had been showing. In the meantime, if you want to PIF, I guess you'll have to pay from your online bank account and push the payment through, as it would be for more than the displayed balance.

I * think * AmEx doesn't let you pay from their site more than the balance that they display, but I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

imo you have more to lose than to gain by calling.  if it is an error it is incumbent upon amex to resolve it (now or in the future) the responsibilty lies 100% with amex.  it could be that they credited it incorrectly initially and are simply making an adjustment. you already have proof how they credited it on your statement if it ever became an issue.

if it proves to be a mistake (which they will no doubt have to review your acct to figure out) they will be sure to make an adjustment in short order.  they'll do this without you shining the light on your account for them by calling now before they have a chance to resolve it organically.

i'd leave my overdeveloped sense of responsibilty at home on this one.  whatever you decide to do, gl!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 21
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

Would you call if the amount was less than the $35 owed? I certainly would. Therefore,. IMHO you should call to at least find out what is going on. This is a test. Life is full of them. Keep your honor. It is far more valuable than any $$$ or CL. Be better than AMEX and in the  long run you will be honored for doing what is right.
Message 9 of 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I agree with Gomer . . . . don't compromise your values for a CCC . . . they aren't worth it.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.