Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex airline credits

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex airline credits

I currently have the Amex gold, amex business plat and Hilton aspire. Are the airline credits for all three based on calendar year or are some of them based on member year? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex airline credits

@red259 wrote:

I currently have the Amex gold, amex business plat and Hilton aspire. Are the airline credits for all three based on calendar year or are some of them based on member year? 

The charge are based on calendar. That is why you can get outsized value in the first year from these cards(credits in remainder year and once the year switches). I am not sure about the Hilton but I imagine they are the same.  I am definitely waiting for 19 to buy my Delta or AA gift card! 

Message 2 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

$250 Airline Fee Credit

Benefit is available to Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $250 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select one qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinecreditchoice.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/partner/print/personal-card/h...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

thats a lot of airline fee credits, how do you plan to use all three?

Message 4 of 23
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I use $300 easily flying RT 5 times a year, especially now that baggage fees are increasing.

You can buy giftcards and even some flights end up counting.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I use $300 easily flying RT 5 times a year, especially now that baggage fees are increasing.

I don't think flights are supposed to count. What airline did that happen with? With giftcards I know that only works with certain airlines. 

;
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

I don't think flights are supposed to count. What airline did that happen with? With giftcards I know that only works with certain airlines. 

It would be so much ncier and more attractive if these are just travel credit, instead this "travel fee" credits. lol

Message 7 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Not sure yet. I buy $100 AA giftcards. The problem is when you redeem AA giftcards you are limited to 8 at a time, so if you only have $100 cards we are talking about a total of $800. The annoying part is its only for flights originating in the US, so if you wanted to buy business class tickets overseas you wouldn't be able to cover the full ticket with giftcards. May be good for a transcontinental positioning flight in the future if I need it though. 

;
Message 8 of 23
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Not sure yet. I buy $100 AA giftcards. The problem is when you redeem AA giftcards you are limited to 8 at a time, so if you only have $100 cards we are talking about a total of $800. The annoying part is its only for flights originating in the US, so if you wanted to buy business class tickets overseas you wouldn't be able to cover the full ticket with giftcards. May be good for a transcontinental positioning flight in the future if I need it though. 

Seriously?  You would buy a positioning flight as a separate itinerary from your international itinerary?  You live dangerously!

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Seriously?  You would buy a positioning flight as a separate itinerary from your international itinerary?  You live dangerously!

Sometimes that is the only option with award flights if you can't get an award out of your own city or there is not an award to your destination form your home city. 

;
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.