cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex applying for new account let sleeping dogs be...1099C?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Still on Amex black list no hard pull so far.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@firefox100 wrote:

FinStar what is so Kool, could I get some counseling and TLC Hi Hi. In your Case you filed Bk that may make the difference, I just let the clock run out did not file BK. AMEX never sell ther bad debt.

Cool in the sense that you didn't get a hard pull and it appears that you're still on their blacklist -- but who knows for how long.  All you can do is try in the future.  You have a variety of lenders so no need to be sad.

@firefox100 As far as BK, no I've never had to go that route so I'm not sure if you have it confused with someone else.  I've been an AmEx cardmember for > 20 years.

Pretty sure he was commenting on your, and the other poster's comments. They filed bk.

Ah, yes that's possible since I noticed the post above mine 😜

Message 21 of 25
firefox100
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@firefox100 wrote:

FinStar what is so Kool, could I get some counseling and TLC Hi Hi. In your Case you filed Bk that may make the difference, I just let the clock run out did not file BK. AMEX never sell ther bad debt.

Cool in the sense that you didn't get a hard pull and it appears that you're still on their blacklist -- but who knows for how long.  All you can do is try in the future.  You have a variety of lenders so no need to be sad.

@firefox100 As far as BK, no I've never had to go that route so I'm not sure if you have it confused with someone else.  I've been an AmEx cardmember for > 20 years.

Pretty sure he was commenting on your, and the other poster's comments. They filed bk.

Ah, yes that's possible since I noticed the post above mine 😜

Your Right Finstar, I have nothing to be unhappy about I do have lot of other cards. It is funy I feel like that I am not complete with love from Amex second class citizen. One of posters said that he had BK and was in with AMEX. Question is not filing BK does that make a difference to AMEs. About 5 years ago I got a letter and phone from AMEX asking if I would like to make payment arrangements they also said we are not going to take legal action at that time I said know and never heard from them again.

Ok here is my situation I realy need to buy a new computer so I can up grade my screen reader. Discover has an offer 12 months of 0% , or apply for new credit card with 0% and 200dollar bouns for spending 1K in three months. I have 1 inquiry on Transunion from Apple GS which is from august 2019 2 inquiries on Experian 1 inquiry from US bank for the Altitude go back in July of 2020 and the other one is also from US bank for Visa+ back in August of 2019. I did not want to apply for any credit until end of of the summer because I want to get couple more cli's from US bank and Citi DB, did not want them to see new accounts or inquiries before I request the CLI's. any ideas what I should do.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firefox100 

You and I have exactly same situation/circumstance except I might have been blacklisted by Amex much longer than you have been. Last month I did prequalification tool on Amex site to see if I am still on their blacklist and could be eligible for their credit products, and found that I was eligible for their ALL cards, which was not the case before because I did check this 5 yrs ago and it never stated that I was eligible for any of their cards...So, I was happy and thought I am now out of their blacklist. I immediately applied for the same card which you did...and within 20 second system denied my application and stated that I would get denial letter in the snail mail...But an hour later I got an email wherein I can immediately see the copy of denial letter which stated that my past relationship with them is the reason for them to deny me.

Don't really know if you and I would ever be out of their blacklist. Its been more than 26 yrs for me since I burned them and I am still on their blacklist. Those who are forgiven and given a second chance have had different situation than ours...They either paid what they owed or their debt was discharged thru bankruptcy which is not our case...We, not only didn't pay them back what we owe to them, but also we didn't get those debt discharged thru bankruptcy. So, our situation is different than others. Unless we see data-points from those who have had exactly same situation like ours, everything is just on the air...assumptions...presumptions...speculations...opinions...That's all. Even Amex can not tell you for sure what could/would/should  happen...

In order to get exact right/correct answer, amex rep or an individual must have to be aware of cases exact to our specific situation...Until then the only way to know for sure about this is- keep applying with Amex, which is not bad at all because if we will still be on their blacklist then there won't be any HP whatsoever...Thus, nothing to lose at all. And if we were to be out of their blacklist then most probably it will be an approval or at least an HP which means we are no longer on their blacklist...Either way it would be a win-win situation for us, in my opinion....So, just keep trying/applying every 3 months. You have nothing to lose or fear about.

However, keep it in mind that every time when we do pre-qualification tool, Amex does SP which doesn't matter anyway because it will not impact your credit score AND nobody sees that SP except you only. Further, Amex always pulls from one more smalll bureaus like SageStream or Innovoice like Discover and Barclay's do.

As for your concern if Amex will come after you to recover a debt from 20 yrs ago then answer is NO. They can't because statue of limitation has run out for them to sue you. Every state in the US has their own limit on Statue of Limitation...but most are between 6-7 years...Some outside or 3rd party collection agencies do still sue people even though debt is subjected to statute of limitation defense. They purposely sue people in hope that defendants will not respond to the lawsuit or won't show up for the hearing, which is true in 90% of times, and then they can easily get a default judgement. That's why its so important to always respond to a lawsuit no matter what...by denying everything...even if you owe the money...By the time, these cases go to court, these 3rd party plaintiffs never have any proof of proving that you owe the money...Just deny everything.. and ask the judge to dismiss their case because of statue of limiation defense...eventually these plaintiffs will ask you to go along with them in a motion to get the case dismissed/withdrawn but after 3-6 hearings (meetings)...These are called hearings, but these are not actual hearings at all...they are meetings...Their attorneys will just try to scare you in order to recover money or will give you a deal to settle the matter in less. Don't settle nor give in to their tactic...Eventually, they will withdraw their case. And without a judgement, nobody can get anything from you. Nevertheless, no one can sue you on this debt anymore...So don't worry. They can not report this debt on your credit reports as well because Federal regulations prohibit them to do so.

I know we all want Amex...it has very good products, good line of credit...good subs...good business cards as well...Big and prestigious name to back it up...There are many countries which never accept any credit card which is issued outside of their country...no matter what, but Amex is accepted around the world without any problem...even in those countries wherein credit cards issued out of their country are prohibited...because Amex first 6 digits of the card don't specify to them where that card is issued at...Their system assumes that Amex card is issued in their own country...I recently tried to pay electric bill of my gf who is right now in another country...I tried every card I have, including US bank cards and NFCU but none of the cards worked as each time I get the same message that "we do not accept credit cards issued by foreign banks"...then I tried Amex card of my ex wife and it went thru like a charm..My ex wife has given me all her cards to manage. She has 3 Amex cards for the same time I am on a blacklist...27 yrs...and funny thing is- she got all these cards thru me as I had put her as an AU back then...but when she applied 5 yrs back then her membership is stated 27 yrs back...lols...Anyway, the whole point is that Amex is accepted worldwide when other cards don't. Many merchants at abroad don't accept foreign issued cards.  So because of all these reasons, I also want to get back into their ecosystem but there is nothing we can do if these lenders don't want to give us a second chance...Thus, I have realized that we can not always get what we hope for...just go with other lenders...there are many to pick from...Good luck...

Message 23 of 25
firefox100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@firefox100 

You and I have exactly same situation/circumstance except I might have been blacklisted by Amex much longer than you have been. Last month I did prequalification tool on Amex site to see if I am still on their blacklist and could be eligible for their credit products, and found that I was eligible for their ALL cards, which was not the case before because I did check this 5 yrs ago and it never stated that I was eligible for any of their cards...So, I was happy and thought I am now out of their blacklist. I immediately applied for the same card which you did...and within 20 second system denied my application and stated that I would get denial letter in the snail mail...But an hour later I got an email wherein I can immediately see the copy of denial letter which stated that my past relationship with them is the reason for them to deny me.

Don't really know if you and I would ever be out of their blacklist. Its been more than 26 yrs for me since I burned them and I am still on their blacklist. Those who are forgiven and given a second chance have had different situation than ours...They either paid what they owed or their debt was discharged thru bankruptcy which is not our case...We, not only didn't pay them back what we owe to them, but also we didn't get those debt discharged thru bankruptcy. So, our situation is different than others. Unless we see data-points from those who have had exactly same situation like ours, everything is just on the air...assumptions...presumptions...speculations...opinions...That's all. Even Amex can not tell you for sure what could/would/should  happen...

In order to get exact right/correct answer, amex rep or an individual must have to be aware of cases exact to our specific situation...Until then the only way to know for sure about this is- keep applying with Amex, which is not bad at all because if we are still be on their blacklist then there won't be any HP at all...Thus, nothing to lose at all. And if we were to be out of their blacklist then most probably it will be approval or at least an HP which means we are no longer on their blacklist...Either way it would be a win-win situation for us, in my opinion....So, just keep trying/applying every 3 months. You have nothing to lose or fear about.

However, keep it in mind that every time when we do pre-qualification tool, Amex does SP which doesn't matter anyway because it will not impact your credit score AND nobody sees that SP except you only. Further, Amex always pulls from one more smalll bureaus like SageStream or Innovoice like Discover and Barclay's.

As for your concern if Amex will come after you to recover a debt from 20 yrs ago then answer is NO. They can't because statue of limitation has run out for them to sue you. Every state in the US has their own limit on Statue of Limitation...but most are between 6-7 years...Some outside or 3rd party collection agencies do still sue people even though debt is subjected to statute of limitation defense. They do purposely sue people in this situation as they hope defendants will not respond to the lawsuit or won't show up for the hearing, which is true in 90% of times, and then they can easily win default judgement. That's why its so important to always respond to a lawsuit no matter what...by denying everything...even if you owe the money...By the time, these cases go to court, these 3rd party plaintiffs never have any proof of proving that you owe the money...Just deny everything.. and ask the judge to dismiss their case because of statue of limiation defense...eventually these plaintiffs will ask you to go along with them in a motion to get the case dismissed/withdrawn but after 3-6 hearings (meetings)...These are called hearings, but these are not actual hearings at all...they are meetings...Their attorneys will just try to scare you in order to recover money or will give you a deal to settle the matter in less. Don't settle nor give in to their tactic...Eventually, they will withdraw their case. And without a judgement, nobody can get anything from you. Nevertheless, no one can sue you on this debt anymore...So don't worry. They can not report this debt on your credit reports as well because Federal regulations prohibit them to do so.

I know we all want Amex...it has very good products, good line of credit...good subs...good business cards as well...Big and prestigious name to back it up...There are many countries which never accept any credit card which is issued outside of their country...no matter what, but Amex is accept around the world without any problem...even in those countries wherein credit cards issued out of their country is prohibited...because Amex first 6 digits of the card don't specify to them where that card is issued...Their system assume that that card is issued in their own country...I recently tried to pay electric bill of my gf who is right now in another country...I tried every card I have including US bank cards and NFCU but none of the cards worked as each time I get the same message that "we do not accept credit cards issued by foreign banks"...then I tried Amex card of my ex wife and it went thru like a charm..My ex wife has given all her cards to me to manage them. She has 3 Amex cards for the same time I am on blackist...27 yrs...and funny thing is- she got all these cards thru me as I had put her as an AU users back then...but when she applied 5 yrs back then their membership is stated 27 yrs back...lols...Anyway, the whole point is that Amex is accepted worldwide when other cards don't/can't. Many merchants at abroad don't accept foreign issued cards.  So because of all these reasons, I also want to get back into their ecosystem but there is nothing we can do if these lenders don't want to give us a second chance...Then, we have to understand that we can not always get what we hope for...just go with other lenders...there are many to pick from...Good luck...

What a nice post, back in the 90's I was traveling overseas in Europe living with a friend when my Father past away atually was in Romania and Amex came through had some meet me and the lady friend I was traveling with at air port in greece to give us our tickets and get us through immigration control another time when I was overseas I need 10 grand in local currency I was able to go to a local Amex office andd cash check drawn on a US bank they wating for me with cash, what a nice way to travel at that time they had your back.

Most people who get back with AMEX eather pay off what they owe or file Bk, we both went hard way not filling just running out the clock. Yes I know how to get around debt collectors and drive them crazy with lawyers and not answering the phone. If you don't mind how much did you burn AMEX for, I burnt then for about 20K. I wonder if we both will ever get back in with AMEX.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firefox100 

Sorry to know about your father.....I burned almost $82k-$84k.. Don't really know if amount is matter when it comes to whom they will let in...It maybe...perhaps...but I honestly don't know. And I also don't know if Amex would ever allow me (us) back in but at this point I really don't care...I have enough credit...My monthly spend are not more than $500 lately anyway....so its hard to keep up with all these cards...Soon I am going to close down at least 10 cards...I am not using them nor they are any beneficial to me anyway. Having Amex cards would be nice but there is nothing we could do if Amex don't want us. We can't fight with them like mano to mano...lols...So I now came to terms to move on and focus my energy and time elsewhere ...Besides, I have been living (surviving) without Amex for the last 27 years, I can live without them for the rest of my life...By the way, I burned Bank of America too back in good ole' days, they blacklisted me for 27 yrs and just two weeks ago opened an account for me...So, maybe Amex would budge as well...maybe...perhaps...who knows...Never say, never again...

Amex prequaification tool doesn't work correctly for us. So, don't rely on it. It works just fine for others, but not for those who are blacklisted. You may try to apply with them every month, if you would like. For me, I think I am done for two years now for any card...Gonna do serious gardening...Good luck my friend...

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.