Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex last four numbers.

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Amex last four numbers.

So at where I work, I am exposed to many American Express cards and account numbers. Even after the swipe, I have to type in the last four embossed numbers for verification. They are usually always the same. The last four are usually 1003, 1007, 1008, 1013, etc. So does anybody know if this means anything? Is it just by card type? I received an email about my card and the last four are 1007. So these numbers are obviously not part of the actual account number because everybody would have the same ending numbers. So anybody know what they mean?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex last four numbers.

my last four start with a 2

Message 2 of 7
nmac
Regular Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

So at where I work, I am exposed to many American Express cards and account numbers. Even after the swipe, I have to type in the last four embossed numbers for verification. They are usually always the same. The last four are usually 1003, 1007, 1008, 1013, etc. So does anybody know if this means anything? Is it just by card type? I received an email about my card and the last four are 1007. So these numbers are obviously not part of the actual account number because everybody would have the same ending numbers. So anybody know what they mean?

I don't know that it means anything but I find it annoying. My PRG before it was canceled had the same last 4 as my EDP. This made it impossible to know what amex card was saved online or to know what I card I paid with when looking a a receipt. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 3 of 7
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

AMEX card nubmers follow this format:

3XXX XXXXXX XABBC

A = card sequence number (starts with 1 and will increase by 1 each time a new account number is issued, usually due to theft or lost card)

BB = "00" for first primary card on the account.  "01" for first supplementary card..."02" for the second...and so on...

C = Check digit - determined using LUHN formula (google if you are bored and enjoy math)

In your case of 1007 = this is the first account number issued on this card, it is the primary card, and your check digit is 7.

The reason some merchant POS systems require the last 4 digits to be entered, is so the system can validate the "check digit" as an extra layer of fraud protection.

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 4 of 7
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

AMEX card nubmers follow this format:

3XXX XXXXXX XABBC

A = card sequence number (starts with 1 and will increase by 1 each time a new account number is issued, usually due to theft or lost card)

BB = "00" for first primary card on the account.  "01" for first supplementary card..."02" for the second...and so on...

C = Check digit - determined using LUHN formula (google if you are bored and enjoy math)

In your case of 1007 = this is the first account number issued on this card, it is the primary card, and your check digit is 7.

The reason some merchant POS systems require the last 4 digits to be entered, is so the system can validate the "check digit" as an extra layer of fraud protection.

Thanks for your reply. I knew they all had to mean something about the account since I've seen so many with the same numbers.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 5 of 7
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

Wow, interesting info. Thank you for the insight!

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 6 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I once made a large purchase at Walmart and the terminal asked me to type in the 3 digits on the signature panel (not 4 digits CVV at the front).

Note that the number scheme AirlinerDudeB6 explained only works for AMEX issued card. My Fidelity AMEX does NOT follow such number scheme.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.