Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex offers question

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Amex offers question

I'm new to Amex and when I was reading the terms and conditions of an Amex offer it listed the following below. The offer was spend $50 get $10 back as a statement credit. The total I spent was $57.38 so based on the way the below language reads do I not get the statement credit? After the statement credit the total will be $47.38. Does this offer mean I really need to spend $60 to get it or is it saying I only earn cash back on the $47.38 rather than the full amount I paid?

Any benefit earned from this offer is in addition to the rewards (i.e. Membership Rewards or cash back) earned as part of your existing Card benefits, but your ability to earn spend-based rewards for the purchase will be based on the amount after any statement credit or other discount is applied.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Dadof31978
New Contributor

Re: Amex offers question

No need to overcomplicate this or make it harder than it needs to be. If the amount charged is at least $50, you will see a $10 credit. 

Message 2 of 19
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Well the way that section is worded is head spinning. By amount charged is that subtotal amount before tax or the total amount counting sales tax? Do I earn cash back on the entire amount i charged?

Message 3 of 19
Dadof31978
New Contributor

you are making this very difficult...amex in 99% of cases (most don't have L3 reporting) sees one #, the total amount charged...that's including tax.

By amount charged is that subtotal amount before tax or the total amount counting sales tax? Total amount counting sales tax

Do I earn cash back on the entire amount i charged? Yes

Message 4 of 19
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

This is the first time I've ever used an Amex offer. What does the following disclaimer mean when it says something of "spend based"?

Message 5 of 19
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

This is the first time I've ever used an Amex offer. What does the following disclaimer mean when it says something of "spend based"?

To me, that term always meant "a purchase using the card", as opposed to redeeming that with points.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 6 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@rgd51 wrote:

It's a "spend based reward" meaning you spend whatever the amount is to get the reward 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 19
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

What other statement credit or discount would they be referring to? Sorry for all the questions, this is my very 1st Amex card.

Message 8 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@rgd51 wrote:

What other statement credit or discount would they be referring to? Sorry for all the questions, this is my very 1st Amex card.

Any benefit earned from this offer is in addition to the rewards (i.e. Membership Rewards or cash back) earned as part of your existing Card benefits, but your ability to earn spend-based rewards for the purchase will be based on the amount after any statement credit or other discount is applied.

In a nutshell, specific to the bolded section, you'll only earn points/rewards or cashback on the adjusted amount after any statement credit or any discounts as applicable. Using your example, if you spent $57.38, you'll only earn rewards/points/cashback on the net amount of $47.38 after the $10 statement credit is applied.

Message 9 of 19
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

In a nutshell, specific to the bolded section, you'll only earn points/rewards or cashback on the adjusted amount after any statement credit or any discounts as applicable. Using your example, if you spent $57.38, you'll only earn rewards/points/cashback on the net amount of $47.38 after the $10 statement credit is applied.

Is that usually how it works with Amex offers? As in where I just need to spend $50 to get the $10 statement credit but I only earn cash back on the $47.38? Chase doesn't seem to do that with their offers as they've always given me cash back on the whole amount but chase offers are also usually lower dollar amounts so each has their pros.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.