Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex question

Hi Everyone 

Last week I was approved for an Amex prg and an every day card (10k limit), yesterday my prg arrived. My question is related to adding another card. During my prg activation online I was asked if I wanted to add another card so I added one for my husband, I did not provide his ssn or dob but the message said I was successful in adding the card to my account.  My questions are:

1. My husband previously had a personal platinum card and his former business had some sort of Amex (which was based on my husband’s personal credit qualifications), not sure which, on which his partner charged a bunch of stuff. The business card defaulted but was never written off, the balance was eventually paid over a period of years, his personal card was cancelled due to this even though there were no problems with it specifically.  My husband seems to have been blacklisted with Amex because of this ever since. Will his card on my account ultimately be cancelled because of this even though it’s issuance is based on my qualifications and I am truly responsible for it?  I’ve seen others here get back in with Amex after being an authorized user on someone else’s account.

2. Is it possible that my card could be cancelled only because I added him as a user on my account?

I know he will have to provide his dob and ssn within 60 days or his card will be cancelled, I’m hoping that if during that time the usage of the card is reasonable they will allow it to remain open. Just to be clear Amex did not lose out on any money on this old business card, they were eventually paid in full. 

Edit: Fyi my husband has an extremely unique name and we have the same address he previously had so it’s possible they do realize it is him that was added I guess.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex question

Congrats!! YOU will be ok if you were never added to those cards of his. When the card arrives, YOU WILL need to enter his SSN to activate...you might see the problems then.
Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:
Congrats!! YOU will be ok if you were never added to those cards of his. When the card arrives, YOU WILL need to enter his SSN to activate...you might see the problems then.

+1

I'll add that usually when you see a problem in this situation is when you provide the SS# at the time the AU is added (i.e. up-front).

If you provide the SS# later on with the AU card is activated they will put "two and two together" (the AU will be able to see his original 'Member Since' date when he logs in) but it should be fine.

Source:  personal experience with this exact situation.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I really appreciate the response!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I really appreciate the response!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.