Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex statement credits vs statement balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex statement credits vs statement balance

This month I cashed in around $40 in cashback as a statement credit on my BCP. Now, I am getting ready to pay the card in full to a $0 balance. The thing is, my remaining statement balance is about $40 higher than my current actual blance.

If I pay off the actual balance, and the card reports $0 on my statement due date, that should count as PiF even though the remaining statement balance will be around $40 right?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex statement credits vs statement balance

Right, although the term PIF technically refers to paying the statement balance in full to maintain interest free grace period, little different from paying the actual balance to report $0 statement balance.

The way Amex explained to me when I had the same question last year is that cashback credit applies to the current cycle (new charges), it can't be used for minimum or previous statement. When you pay the entire actual balance (statement balance + current posted charges), it will included the cashback credit amongst current charges.

Message 2 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

Should be, yes. I get adjustments down, on my PIF autopay when Statement credits on spend offers are already automatically applied.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The way Amex explained to me when I had the same question last year is that cashback credit applies to the current cycle (new charges), it can't be used for minimum or previous statement. When you pay the entire actual balance (statement balance + current posted charges), it will included the cashback credit amongst current charges.

The card has no charges on it this cycle, just a small remaining statement balance from last month. It sounds like from what you said, it should still work out ok though.

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Should be, yes. I get adjustments down, on my PIF autopay when Statement credits on spend offers are already automatically applied.
Are you sure about this? I just went back and double checked my SimplyCash card, my PIF autopay (executed on 1/20) was the same statement balance from December even though I have quite a few credits posted on the current cycle from spending offers.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The card has no charges on it this cycle, just a small remaining statement balance from last month. It sounds like from what you said, it should still work out ok though.

Thanks

Yes, even though you have no current charges, you have the $40 credit posted so your current cycle balance is -$40, actual balance = current cycle balance + previous statement balance.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! OK. That makes sense now, thanks.

I get that the credits can't go towards minimum payment, but I really wish they would deduct it from the statement balance as some of my other cards do. It would make instances like this far more intuitive.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hold on a second, after thinking it over, I'm wrong, you need to pay the full remaining statement balance and let the next statement cut with -$40 balance in order to retain your grace period not get hit with interest, because the cashback credit can't be applied backwards, you would have been ok if you had new charges and the credit was used up against the new charges. I called and confirmed this with Amex before making this post.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, that is a crazy policy. I had to double verify that with Amex myself, and it is indeed the case. Glad you chimed back in.

lol so my statement balance next month will be -$41.41.

It's so weird. Why have the option to redeem for "statement credit" when it's actually just a current cycle reduction credit that has nothing to do with reducing the statement balance at all?

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also confirmed that it applies to all statement credit not just cashback redemptions.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.