Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple card without apple device

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Apple card without apple device

Last night I was browsing apple's website from my android phone for a mac for school, and they were offering 0% interest financing via apple card. I don't even have an apple ID because I'm not an iphone user, but I was curious what would happen if I tried the financing, and... it let me apply for the apple card from my android device!!!

I did not actually apply because I don't really have any use for that card and I'm planning to apply for other cards in the next few weeks, but I was surprised that it was an option.

I've seen people talking about the apple card without an iphone, and everyone seemed to suggest that you need an apple device to apply.

I'm not not sure if this financing loophole is new, and perhaps, maybe now apple are allowing anyone to apply.

33 REPLIES 33
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Apple card without apple device

I haven’t kept up with all the changes, but initially, you did have to have an iPhone to apply.
They’ve changed a few things since the card was launched and will probably continue to evolve since it’s a new-ish product for both Apple and GS.
Message 2 of 34
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@imaximous wrote:
I haven’t kept up with all the changes, but initially, you did have to have an iPhone to apply.
They’ve changed a few things since the card was launched and will probably continue to evolve since it’s a new-ish product for both Apple and GS.

..or iPad.

I was able to go thru the motions (though did not accept) via my iPad as well Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 34
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

You have to have an apple device with Apple Wallet to apply.   I think you can use an old iphone as long as it's a 6/6S or newer, will work if you have access to an old one.   You can set up an apple ID and apply over wi-fi.   You might can apply at the apple store, that is just a guess though.  

Message 4 of 34
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If one is only looking for financing options then I'd rather app for an Amazon or Best Buy card where you'd get more use and special financing on Apple products instead of app'ing for a card that you'd only earn 1% cash back at best since you don't have an Apple device.

TLDR, even if it were possible it still doesn't make sense to app for this card without an Apple device.
Message 5 of 34
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
If one is only looking for financing options then I'd rather app for an Amazon or Best Buy card where you'd get more use and special financing on Apple products instead of app'ing for a card that you'd only earn 1% cash back at best since you don't have an Apple device.

TLDR, even if it were possible it still doesn't make sense to app for this card without an Apple device.

There are people who do prefer to purchase through Apple as you get both 0% APR and the 3% rewards (last year from november-december it was 6%). Only thing I don't like about the Best Buy card was that it's deferred interest. I believe Amazon has that as well if you don't choose equal pay

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand how they're going to let someone apply for Apple Card without an iDevice since you can't get Apple Cash and thus can't get cash back without an iDevice. 

Message 7 of 34
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand how they're going to let someone apply for Apple Card without an iDevice since you can't get Apple Cash and thus can't get cash back without an iDevice. 

According to the agreement, they state that if you don't have an Apple Cash card, it'll be applied to your bill as a statement credit

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to the agreement, they state that if you don't have an Apple Cash card, it'll be applied to your bill as a statement credit

That's a nice change from how it started out. It makes it easier for them to dump Barclays and not cannibalize financing for new Apple customers. 

Message 9 of 34
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Matt9543 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a nice change from how it started out. It makes it easier for them to dump Barclays and not cannibalize financing for new Apple customers. 

I believe they actually closed applications for the Barclays card. I know people who have it can still use it, but Apple has moved mainly to Apple Card. There's an online portal too, but it's not my favorite. Can't see transactions on it, only statements.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.