Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorizing a user resulting in HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorizing a user resulting in HP?

I called Discover last night to add my husband as an authorized user, I was told it needed to be approved & it could result in a HP. Does that sound right?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorizing a user resulting in HP?

It doesn’t sound common - first I’ve heard of it, and when I added my wife to my cards (any of them, not just Disco), it wasn’t done because she isn’t getting an account. It does not sound right. I suppose they have the right to do it if they want but my feeling is you’ve been given incorrect info.
Message 2 of 6
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I called Discover last night to add my husband as an authorized user, I was told it needed to be approved & it could result in a HP. Does that sound right?

No, unless you are also requesting a CLI or new credit, it's not a permissible reason to do a HP. A request for an AU is not a request for new credit. 

See: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/I-added-authorize-user-to-my-Amex-and-they-did-a-hard-pull/m-p/5068648/highlight/true#M250917

Message 3 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It doesn’t sound common - first I’ve heard of it, and when I added my wife to my cards (any of them, not just Disco), it wasn’t done because she isn’t getting an account. It does not sound right. I suppose they have the right to do it if they want but my feeling is you’ve been given incorrect info.

I agree. I suggest calling back and asking again. It’s probably just a miscommunication. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone, I’m going to call again and ask. From what I read in the thread that was in the link AMEX has done HP on the account holder to verify.....I definitely don’t want a HP. I’m rebuilding credit so if i still can’t get a clear answer from Disco i just won’t add him.
Message 5 of 6
Berk
Established Contributor

That has never happened to me. My SO is on the majority of my cards and I even have her oldest as an AU on one of my Amex cards. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.