Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A, Chase Citi, max combined limits before docs required

tag
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

B of A, Chase Citi, max combined limits before docs required

Does anybody know how much across multiple B of A cards a person can have before having to provide docs ?

I know Discover is 20k

On a recent thread, It was suggested that I go for 25k or so if willing to take a HP.

I have 10k on one card and 5k on another.

I think most lenders it is about the 25k range.  How about Citi ? or Chase ?

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
HiLine
Blogger

Re: B of A, Chase Citi, max combined limits before docs required

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

Does anybody know how much across multiple B of A cards a person can have before having to provide docs ?

I know Discover is 20k

On a recent thread, It was suggested that I go for 25k or so if willing to take a HP.

I know people that have more than 20k limit on one single Discover card without any hassle. You'll find lots of people on here with more than 25k with all other issuers as well, except Barclays.

Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

I know Discover is 20k

I know people that have more than 20k limit on one single Discover card without any hassle. You'll find lots of people on here with more than 25k with all other issuers as well, except Barclays.

Yes, I have more than 25K on each on Chase, Citi, Cap One, Penfed and Amex.  Only Amex, the lowest, has ever asked for docs

Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

It really depends. From what i observed, people with thicker files are generally less likely to be asked for docs. It also depends on income and CR I suppose. If there's any derogatory info on file, they probably will scrutinize it more closely.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

It depends.. if someone has the Discover Card for more than 10 years and get a CL of $30K, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

However, I do think that most banks will be reluctant to give you CL above $30K on a single card without documents no matter how good your CR looks like or how long  you have been with the bank.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@W2003, if the income doesn't support / warrant such a high CL, then yea. Otherwise no.

To add: honestly its quite a crapshoot. Seems to be based on a lot of factors, and some luck i suppose. If they demand docs so be it. For me personally I would submit it. But some people don't want to and there's no wrong in refusing such requests here.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
It really depends. From what i observed, people with thicker files are generally less likely to be asked for docs. It also depends on income and CR I suppose. If there's any derogatory info on file, they probably will scrutinize it more closely.

+1. This and sometimes it's just luck.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

It depends.. if someone has the Discover Card for more than 10 years and get a CL of $30K, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

However, I do think that most banks will be reluctant to give you CL above $30K on a single card without documents no matter how good your CR looks like or how long  you have been with the bank.

But what is your basis for saying that?   When I got my first $30K cards, these were the first cards from those issuers and I had no banking relationship with them.  Now this was some years ago, and things tightened up post the crash, but several people here have high limit cards without mentioning having to provide documentation.

In fact, the only ones I remember seeing mentioned often are Amex when requesting some types of CLI, and Penfed at application time.   And Penfed doesn't ask everyone (I got instant approval) and asks some at much lower CL levels.

Message 8 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

But what is your basis for saying that?   When I got my first $30K cards, these were the first cards from those issuers and I had no banking relationship with them.  Now this was some years ago, and things tightened up post the crash, but several people here have high limit cards without mentioning having to provide documentation.

In fact, the only ones I remember seeing mentioned often are Amex when requesting some types of CLI, and Penfed at application time.   And Penfed doesn't ask everyone (I got instant approval) and asks some at much lower CL levels.

They have other ways to estimate your income anyways, such as examining your spending habits. For example if you have genuine annual spend of 25k, odds are your income will be 75k+. This is assuming taxes, expenses that aren't chargable for most people such as rent or a mortgage, and then what's left for disposable spending.

This obviously changes if you live at home or have paid off a mortgage already (for example), but this is why they ask questions in applications regarding monthly housing costs. They can then calculate your net income using your stated gross and corresponding tax bracket.

If you have a high level of assets with the bank, that will change their level of scrutiny as well.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.