Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Clear Points Card

tag
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

Re: BBVA Clear Points Card

Awww, that blows because I've seen DPs of cards getting moderately decent CLIs via the HP too. Nothing amazing like some, but worth the HP if you don't have any other plans with credit at the moment.

Message 51 of 73
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They bother me. 

I will say that I tried to pay my credit card this month and I accidentally tried to draw on my BBVA checking because their app defaults to that account and I wasn't paying attention (I'm not used to having a BBVA checking) and they didn't charge me a fee for the payment not clearing (I opted out of overdraft protection), just sent me an email and a snail mail letting me know the payment failed and they didn't close my card so that was nice. I went and made the payment from my external account the second I got the email so that probably helped. I'm just keeping the checking account until it's 6 months old (April) and then I'm closing it. My $25 initial deposit will just stay there until I use it towards my card to $0 the account and then I'll call and close it. 

I have a feeling that failed payment likely just bucketed my card indefinitely at $2K as well so I guess it's a good thing I only throw about $200 a month on it. 

It is for this reason, I only pay My CC's with accounts that have minimum $10,000 overdraft.

Message 52 of 73
JNA1
Valued Contributor

It seems like they are fairly income sensitive, as I’ve seen SLs range a lot from them. My income is $115K, and they gave me a $15,300 SL, which is still my highest ever. Oddly enough, at the time I got this card, my total reported CL was exactly $15,300, so it was like they matched it. That is still my highest ever SL.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 53 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Awww, that blows because I've seen DPs of cards getting moderately decent CLIs via the HP too. Nothing amazing like some, but worth the HP if you don't have any other plans with credit at the moment.

Took the HP and got told I was asking to early at 6 months. Wouldn't make the mistake again for a card I don't put a lot of spend on. 

Message 54 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They bother me. 

I will say that I tried to pay my credit card this month and I accidentally tried to draw on my BBVA checking because their app defaults to that account and I wasn't paying attention (I'm not used to having a BBVA checking) and they didn't charge me a fee for the payment not clearing (I opted out of overdraft protection), just sent me an email and a snail mail letting me know the payment failed and they didn't close my card so that was nice. I went and made the payment from my external account the second I got the email so that probably helped. I'm just keeping the checking account until it's 6 months old (April) and then I'm closing it. My $25 initial deposit will just stay there until I use it towards my card to $0 the account and then I'll call and close it. 

I have a feeling that failed payment likely just bucketed my card indefinitely at $2K as well so I guess it's a good thing I only throw about $200 a month on it. 

It is for this reason, I only pay My CC's with accounts that have minimum $10,000 overdraft.

I didn't mean to pay it from my BBVA account. I opened it in October and hadn't been using my ClearPoints. Normally it would be greyed out and I would have to hit other to pick my bank but this time it wasn't because I had a BBVA checking. My fault but their app layout really didn't help. 

Message 55 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:
It seems like they are fairly income sensitive, as I’ve seen SLs range a lot from them. My income is $115K, and they gave me a $15,300 SL, which is still my highest ever. Oddly enough, at the time I got this card, my total reported CL was exactly $15,300, so it was like they matched it. That is still my highest ever SL.

Yep they seem to be income sensitive more than score sensitive so I'm likely stuck at $2K anyway. 

Message 56 of 73
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They bother me. 

I didn't mean to pay it from my BBVA account. I opened it in October and hadn't been using my ClearPoints. Normally it would be greyed out and I would have to hit other to pick my bank but this time it wasn't because I had a BBVA checking. My fault but their app layout really didn't help. 

I understand, I have mad my share of mishaps. Seem's I always have to learn the hard waySmiley Indifferent

Message 57 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They bother me. 

I understand, I have mad my share of mishaps. Seem's I always have to learn the hard waySmiley Indifferent

I'm definitely glad that on the surface there wasn't a consequence for this mishap but yeah I'm definitely going to be more vigilant with what I am doing now that I'm opening up all these checking accounts. 🤦‍♂️ 

Message 58 of 73
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I’m guilty of that myself. I mistakenly made a payment to Disco from my CU account that I deposit all my cashback into. I just transferred the amount of my bank back into my Cashback account, so it was no big deal. I was lucky that had the money in there, but if i had pulled it from one of my other CU accounts, it wouldn’t have been enough to cover the PIF payment.

Like you, it really made me pay more attention now.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 59 of 73
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Question: Isn't the BBVA Clearpoints card the same thing as the Synovus Rewards Visa with Dynamic Earn categories?

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 60 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.