cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

Highlighted
Contributor

BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

Hi All,

I keep receiving this in the mail but to be honest I've never heard of them. I'm gardening until my last bK drops of next month. My goal is the Amazon Chase Visa. Is BBVA a good company? Says it offers $100 account credit when you make $1,500 in net qualifying purchases in the first 90 days. 0% introductory apr for13 mnths and after a 13.49% to 31.49% variable apr (kinda high). $0 annual fee and zero limit to the amount of rewards you can earn.

I don't plan on applying for anything right now but I know I will get an offer again from this company as to this is the 3rd one i get within the last 5 months. I have 2 bank cards right now (discover & credit one) so I plan on applying for Amazon and then giving credit one the axe. So is BBVA worth it?

Amazon Prime Signature - CL $4000
Walmart Store Card - $5000
Discover It - CL $4700
Macys Red Card - $13000
Lowes Advantage - CL $27000
Chase Freedom Unlimited




Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

They sent me mailers almost weekly for a couple of years.  I finally bit when they upped it to $150 SUB.  Quick and painless approval and immediate sign up for online banking.  15K CL at approval.  If you have a mailer and don't live in their service area it's the only way to get one.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 2 of 44
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer


@Obscure-Expert wrote:

They sent me mailers almost weekly for a couple of years.  I finally bit when they upped it to $150 SUB.  Quick and painless approval and immediate sign up for online banking.  15K CL at approval.  If you have a mailer and don't live in their service area it's the only way to get one.


Has it been a good experience?

Amazon Prime Signature - CL $4000
Walmart Store Card - $5000
Discover It - CL $4700
Macys Red Card - $13000
Lowes Advantage - CL $27000
Chase Freedom Unlimited




Message 3 of 44
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

BBVA’s card is fantastic. The categories are broad, the credit requirements to get the card aren’t super high (not a lot of denials), they pay the SUB very quickly, and they have bonus cash back offers all the time which actually stack bonus points so if they offer 5 bonus points on dining and you have your card set to earn 3 points per dollar there, you’ll earn 8 points per dollar. 

 

The only real complaints with them are that the website is awful (get the app and use that, the app is great), CLIs have to be initiated by calling them and will be a HP, and if you don’t set your categories before the next quarter starts you’ll end up being reset to earning 1 point everywhere. Fortunately you can set your categories for the next quarter as soon as the new quarter starts so it’s not that big of a deal. They’re also not locked in until the quarter starts so you can set what you think they will be and then make changes if needed. 




Message 4 of 44
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer


@Saeren wrote:

BBVA’s card is fantastic. The categories are broad, the credit requirements to get the card aren’t super high (not a lot of denials), they pay the SUB very quickly, and they have bonus cash back offers all the time which actually stack bonus points so if they offer 5 bonus points on dining and you have your card set to earn 3 points per dollar there, you’ll earn 8 points per dollar. 

 

The only real complaints with them are that the website is awful (get the app and use that, the app is great), CLIs have to be initiated by calling them and will be a HP, and if you don’t set your categories before the next quarter starts you’ll end up being reset to earning 1 point everywhere. Fortunately you can set your categories for the next quarter as soon as the new quarter starts so it’s not that big of a deal. They’re also not locked in until the quarter starts so you can set what you think they will be and then make changes if needed. 


CLI's are HP's? Oh man Smiley Sad Thanks for the feedback!

Amazon Prime Signature - CL $4000
Walmart Store Card - $5000
Discover It - CL $4700
Macys Red Card - $13000
Lowes Advantage - CL $27000
Chase Freedom Unlimited




Message 5 of 44
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

Yeah CLIs are HPs but they are known for giving auto CLIs between 7-9 months of account opening. 




Message 6 of 44
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

Yeah, it’s a good card. It was a FOTM for awhile lol. The website is convoluted but the app is pretty good. The prequals are extremely solid, so if you want the card, go for it. 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Citi Rewards+: 3.6k
Bank Americard: 2.8k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 7 of 44
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

I know a saw a recent post where someone got an automatice CLI at 6 months, not sure where it is though.

EXP 758 TU 783 EQ 729
Message 8 of 44
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer


@Colombiana79 wrote:


CLI's are HP's? Oh man Smiley Sad Thanks for the feedback!


Why is everyone so averse to a HP?!  It's not that big of a deal.  If a HP double or triples your limit it's worthwhile. right?

 

INQ's account for 10% of your score and after say about 5 of them they don't do much for point loss.  If you have some age mixed with on time payments you're ideal for 750+ scores which net you just about anything you want if you do it in the right order.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 9 of 44
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass ClearPoints Pre-Qual Mailer

My experience mirrors Saeren's exactly except for the CLI as I haven't done one yet. I have had the card short of a year. I opened a high interest rate savings in branch as they are easy to deal with and yes the website is really bad.
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.