Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BJ's switch from Comenity to Cap1

tag
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Re: BJ's switch from Comenity to Cap1

More movement on this...

you can no longer apply for the existing Comenity BJs CC via the BJs website and the 'Apply Now' button that is on the Account Management site just goes back to the BJs CC info for existing CC holders.  Plus there is a new blurb, see screenshot, about 'Coming in Early 2023'.

314ED383-55CE-407B-B1C9-3CA58C23CE8D.jpeg

FICO 8: TU:816 / EQ:828 / EX:818 as of 8/1/2024
Message 11 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

And finally, an actual acknowledgement to cardholders that the change is taking place.  This email came from BJ's today.

Dear My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® holder,

As a valued member of our program, we wanted you to be the first to know about exciting upcoming changes.

We recently selected Capital One as our new program partner—and the My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® program is becoming the BJ’s One™ Mastercard® program. Partnering with Capital One will allow us to innovate, grow and enhance our cardholders’ experiences through comprehensive benefits and award-winning service.

It also means Capital One will be issuing you a new card, which you should receive by mid-February (and that you can activate on or after February 27, 2023). Until then, you can continue using your existing My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® credit card.

Also, please be aware that any one-time payments scheduled on or after February 24 will not be processed by Comenity Capital Bank. However, if you have an autopay series scheduled, that may be transferred over to Capital One. You will be contacted if your autopay does not transfer.*

In the coming weeks, you’ll receive more detailed information from BJ’s and Capital One about the new BJ’s One™ Mastercard program, along with important instructions on what to expect as we prepare to move your credit card account to Capital One.*

To learn more about these changes, please visit BJsOne.capitalone.com.

Thank you for your continued membership as we look to create more value for you now and in the future.

Sincerely,

BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.

BJ's One Mastercard will replace BJ's Perks Plus Mastercard

3% back in rewards on most BJ's purchases
10¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
1.5% back in rewards everywhere else Mastercard is accepted
World Mastercard status

BJ's One+ Mastercard will replace BJ's Perks Elite Mastercard

5% back in rewards on most BJ's purchases
15¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
2% back in rewards everywhere else Mastercard is accepted
World Mastercard status

BJ's Business Elite Mastercard will replace both the BJ's Business Perks Plus BJ's Business Perks Elite

15¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
World Elite Mastercard status

All cards have no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.

Unlimited rewards that never expire.  When you earn rewards, they’ll never expire—ever.

The rewards expiration is welcome change as the $10 increments currently expire if unused at BJs.   (Edit: From the FAQ: You can redeem your rewards at checkout in-club, online on BJs.com or in the BJ's app on eligible purchases of at least $10. You must have a minimum rewards balance of $10 to redeem, and you can redeem any amount over $10.)

For my card (Perks Elite), the flat 2% is better than the current 2% on dining and non-BJs gas and 1% everywhere else, although I am still unlikely to use it outside of BJs.  The Plus card loses 1/2% on dining and non-BJs gas, but gains 1/2% on the everywhere else.  I am assuming the exclusions to "most BJs purchases" will remain alcohol, tobacco, gift cards, delivery orders from local clubs (usually charged as Instacart), etc...

I don't see any mention of the $25 annual credit when my premium membership is renewed, though, so the effective -$25 AF may be going up to $0.  I will also be very curious if the standard 2% on that membership tier will be earned when paying with any other type of payment.  That came as a surprise when I first got the BJs card that I no longer received the base 2% rewards unless I used my Comenity BJs card.  (Edit: From the FAQ: Will I still earn rewards if I don’t use my new credit card?  You must use your new credit card with your membership ID, which is located on the back of your credit card, at checkout to earn rewards.  Smiley Frustrated)

Edit:  Ooh, one nice thing for those with existing CapOne online accounts:

"On or after 2/27/23, you can set up a new online account with Capital One, or you can add your card to an existing Capital One account to manage your account online or via the Capital One Mobile app. You’ll be able to set up paperless statements, customized alerts and other features."

Edit 2: This should alleviate some concerns:

"Will this change impact my credit score?
This will not be reported as a new account and your account open date will appear as the same date currently reported on your credit file. The information previously reported to the credit bureaus will be updated with the Capital One name and the credit bureaus will continue to receive updates based on your ongoing account performance."

Message 12 of 16
Blender
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

And finally, an actual acknowledgement to cardholders that the change is taking place.  This email came from BJ's today.

Dear My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® holder,

As a valued member of our program, we wanted you to be the first to know about exciting upcoming changes.

We recently selected Capital One as our new program partner—and the My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® program is becoming the BJ’s One™ Mastercard® program. Partnering with Capital One will allow us to innovate, grow and enhance our cardholders’ experiences through comprehensive benefits and award-winning service.

It also means Capital One will be issuing you a new card, which you should receive by mid-February (and that you can activate on or after February 27, 2023). Until then, you can continue using your existing My BJ’s Perks® Mastercard® credit card.

Also, please be aware that any one-time payments scheduled on or after February 24 will not be processed by Comenity Capital Bank. However, if you have an autopay series scheduled, that may be transferred over to Capital One. You will be contacted if your autopay does not transfer.*

In the coming weeks, you’ll receive more detailed information from BJ’s and Capital One about the new BJ’s One™ Mastercard program, along with important instructions on what to expect as we prepare to move your credit card account to Capital One.*

To learn more about these changes, please visit BJsOne.capitalone.com.

Thank you for your continued membership as we look to create more value for you now and in the future.

Sincerely,

BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.

BJ's One Mastercard will replace BJ's Perks Plus Mastercard

3% back in rewards on most BJ's purchases
10¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
1.5% back in rewards everywhere else Mastercard is accepted
World Mastercard status

BJ's One+ Mastercard will replace BJ's Perks Elite Mastercard

15¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
World Mastercard status

BJ's Business Elite Mastercard will replace both the BJ's Business Perks Plus BJ's Business Perks Elite

15¢ off/gal. at BJ's Gas
World Elite Mastercard status

All cards have no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.

Unlimited rewards that never expire.  When you earn rewards, they’ll never expire—ever.

The rewards expiration is welcome change as the $10 increments currently expire if unused at BJs.   (Edit: From the FAQ: You can redeem your rewards at checkout in-club, online on BJs.com or in the BJ's app on eligible purchases of at least $10. You must have a minimum rewards balance of $10 to redeem, and you can redeem any amount over $10.)

For my card (Perks Elite), the flat 2% is better than the current 2% on dining and non-BJs gas and 1% everywhere else, although I am still unlikely to use it outside of BJs.  The Plus card loses 1/2% on dining and non-BJs gas, but gains 1/2% on the everywhere else.  I am assuming the exclusions to "most BJs purchases" will remain alcohol, tobacco, gift cards, delivery orders from local clubs (usually charged as Instacart), etc...

I don't see any mention of the $25 annual credit when my premium membership is renewed, though, so the effective -$25 AF may be going up to $0.  I will also be very curious if the standard 2% on that membership tier will be earned when paying with any other type of payment.  That came as a surprise when I first got the BJs card that I no longer received the base 2% rewards unless I used my Comenity BJs card.  (Edit: From the FAQ: Will I still earn rewards if I don’t use my new credit card?  You must use your new credit card with your membership ID, which is located on the back of your credit card, at checkout to earn rewards.  Smiley Frustrated)

Edit:  Ooh, one nice thing for those with existing CapOne online accounts:

"On or after 2/27/23, you can set up a new online account with Capital One, or you can add your card to an existing Capital One account to manage your account online or via the Capital One Mobile app. You’ll be able to set up paperless statements, customized alerts and other features."

Edit 2: This should alleviate some concerns:

"Will this change impact my credit score?
This will not be reported as a new account and your account open date will appear as the same date currently reported on your credit file. The information previously reported to the credit bureaus will be updated with the Capital One name and the credit bureaus will continue to receive updates based on your ongoing account performance."

how does edit one effect anyone whos AU? 

Thanks for posting this for us, been a long time coming lol

8/2024

Message 13 of 16
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

My snail mail packet came today. Basically said that the card will transition early 2023 and C1 will mail a new card but it will change to MasterCard World. 

The elimination of FTF will be nice, but outside of the automatic annual fee billing for BJs, I don't really use the card. 

One of the few instances that I will view C1 as an upgrade compared to Commenity. 

JR
Message 14 of 16
RootDet
Established Contributor

I wonder if they will nurf the business card, since those could be obtained without a PG. 

Message 15 of 16
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Got to love how much effort they put on the card's design!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.