Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Card with Long Term Value

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Re: BT Card with Long Term Value

Do you know the different between the discover it cash back and the discover it bt? They look the same to me.. am I missing something? It's for sure a good option although not sure how much I want to pay attention to rotating categories. 

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 11 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

Freedom Unlimited looks ineresting.. is the 12 month wait a hard and fast rule? I was hoping for the CSP before then. Also, how are their SL usually?

IMHO, I think because you have a thin credit file, your SL would be on the low end for the Freedom Unlimited.

I dont think you would be approved for the CSP at this time due to limited credit history (2CCs).

Prior to applying for any CCs, definitely do a prequal before pulling the trigger. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@CreditSage wrote:

Freedom Unlimited looks ineresting.. is the 12 month wait a hard and fast rule? I was hoping for the CSP before then. Also, how are their SL usually?

IMHO, I think because you have a thin credit file, your SL would be on the low end for the Freedom Unlimited.

I dont think you would be approved for the CSP at this time due to limited credit history (2CCs).

Prior to applying for any CCs, definitely do a prequal before pulling the trigger. 

I closed a secured capital one CC last week.. did that put me in thin file territory? OR, do closed accounts factor into file thickness/thinness? I have one fully paid off car loan, one closed cc, and two charged off badies which I settled years back.. thanks in advance!

Also, do AU accounts factor into 5/24 or AoYA? 

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 13 of 17
tcbofade
Super Contributor

DW just picked up a Citi DC for exactly this reason... 18 months 0% on BTs AND purchases.  Right now, we're carrying a balance on it, but when paid off, it'll be a semi useful 2% cashback card.  

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 14 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

The Citi DC looks like a good option and 2% is pretty good. 

Message 15 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover has a 18 month 0% BT offer with 3% fee and 6 months 0% purchase apr. That may be what u are looking for. Card also have cashback match the first year and rotating 5% categories.

Just google discover 18 month balance transfer offer and apply from the link through nerd wallet.

@mr_suave

Why do you suggest the link through nerdwallet instead of direct with issuer? The reason I ask, I applied for Chase prequal through nerdwallet yesterday (they asked for Social, birthday, etc.) and was approved however direct through Chase I was not approved. I posed this situation to the community and they said nerdwallet prequalifications are fluff/nonesense. I see you are specifically calling out nerdwallet so I wanted to get your take/experience on this. Thanks!

Message 16 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Update: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Chase-Freedom-Approved-678-FICO-8/td-p/572401...

went with Chase Freedom but SL is too low to actually be useful as a BT :/

@CreditSage wrote:

What's a good BT card with long term value? I'd like to transfer some high interest (16%) debt to a 0% card. If there is a 0% purchase APR as well that would be great. If I am takign a HP and having to take on an additional card I'd like it to have long term value either through PC or some other form. A goal card of mine is CSP so perhaps a Chase BT card?

Here are my current cards:

NFCU Amex (which has the debt)

Capital One Quicksilver

BankAmericard 

Thankson advance for the help.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.