cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Offer for existing Cardholders are gone?

tag
azpro
New Contributor

Balance Transfer Offer for existing Cardholders are gone?

I currently have Citi Double Cash, Discover, Capital One Rewards Cards and Chase Bonvoy.

In last few months Feb or March I've seen BT from:-

Citi DC around 4-5% - Still available to use

Discover around 3% - Still available to use

Chase around 4% - Expired in March - No new checks

Captial One - 2% Haven't seen any checks for over an year. 

I was carrying a high balance on Chase until last month. Recently paid in full. No offers yet that is unusual.

I am currently carrying a High Balance on Captial One. Used up 18 months 2% offer last year, paying the minimum.

Am I doing anything wrong that I'm not seeing BT offers or checks from either Chase or Capital One?

What should I do to get those BT check started again?

Anyone else is noticing the same pattern?

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance Transfer Offer for existing Cardholders are gone?

Most banks have already pulled BT offers for portfolio.

Even BT offers for new accounts are being pulled.

Transfer funds when you can, it will be worse in the next couple of months when all the changes get put in the system.

Only repreive is the some of the covid offers and assistance.

BT surfing would become much tougher.

Message 2 of 62
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

For the first time I can remember 2 of my Cap One accounts don’t have balance transfer options at REGULAR APR!

My Venture still does (12.99%).

Propel does not.

Dicover does not.

DW Discover has 0%for 12 months offer.

My PenFed cards have 0% for 12 months.

Overall, there is a tightening.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 62
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have three Discover BT I have been working on, 4.99% and 5.99% no fee. I have had a total balance of up to a couple thousand on these no-fee BT Discover offers, paid down, through several borrow - pay cycles the last few years. I always have two Discover BT offers, so I added a $3.000 3% BT fee chunk to the list. Makes four tranches of BT running on one account. I have also always had a $333 monthly autopay running to Discover so each of the BT I have done, is paid within the time term, usually less than a year for each.
TL:dr I have a lot of positive BT history on Discover.

I haven't seen a Citi card BT offer for a few years now, but I am down to only one AAdvantage MileUp card, which will be closed as soon as I can use my AA miles up.

I still have ~5% BT fee offers from several Chase cards, including CSR

Two US Bank cards. Used a $5,000 BT to one of my Cash+ cards in the last week.

CapitalOne BT offers are only at standard APR, I have never seen a special BT rate or fee from CapOne. I have a QS with fixed 10.9% APR that I use a couple times a year for a $500 BT, paid at over $200 per month. Gets them some interest, I pay no interest First Month and Last Month, it works out to a low actual APR for the time value. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one with chase(they come and go), discover(2 different offers since 2013), Citi(always since 2017), and capital one(always offering me 18 months and 3% fee(and one time 2% fee)). I was getting borderline harassment from discover, Citi, and capital one through email and snail mail for balance transfers up til early April this year. They all disappeared. I have 0 balance with all their cards. Its definitely because of covid-19....or my 3 newly acquired credit cards last month.Smiley Embarassed

Message 5 of 62
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Does anyone have offers from BofA?

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still getting offers from  the two old faithfuls, Citi and Disco. Unfortunately they want 4% and 5% fee respectfully. Haven't seen anything from Chase or USB in a few weeks, though the USB BIZ does have an offer but not high enough CL do do anything worthwhile.

In a pinch I can alway take CA from CU for the same APR as purchases which is 9%, so in reality I have plenty if needed. But i prefer to keep CC balances very low to none if i can. If they see too many balance increases I'm sure they'll get nervous.

Message 7 of 62
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still getting offers from  the two old faithfuls, Citi and Disco. Unfortunately they want 4% and 5% fee respectfully. Haven't seen anything from Chase or USB in a few weeks, though the USB BIZ does have an offer but not high enough CL do do anything worthwhile.

In a pinch I can alway take CA from CU for the same APR as purchases which is 9%, so in reality I have plenty if needed. But i prefer to keep CC balances very low to none if i can. If they see too many balance increases I'm sure they'll get nervous.

If you don't mind me asking...which credit union is this? I can do the same at Michelin Tire Corp. FCU. That is so rare for a credit union not to charge a fee or extra interest for cash advances. Even the percentage is the same if you are rounding up 8.99%. I can do so on both the CLOC or credit card, same interest on both, which is amazing when compared to most credit cards that charge both a fee when CA is taken and higher interest with no grace period. The only difference between a credit card purchase at MTCFCU is there is no grace period so interest starts the day the CA is taken. I would imagine everywhere does that to prevent getting a CA to deposit somewhere you can draw interest and paying it back on the due date. The really strange thing...I have never taken a cash advance on it, or anywhere else for 20 years.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 62
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Namaste7 wrote:

Does anyone have offers from BofA?

@Namaste7  I see it available in online portal in the Transfer Balance or Get Cash tab. 3% BT fee.

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah my local CU does the same, I've often "borrowed" from that CL for a week or so and end up costing me a couple bucks.

it's called Rivermark Community Credit Union

The APR could have even lower as it starts at 6.9% , but my score at the time I opened the account  was much lower due to 3 negatives I was unaware of. lol

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.