Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Question

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Balance Transfer Question

If you opened a card with the intention to use it for a Balance Transfer do you have to transfer the whole amount of whatever card to the new card or can you pick how much you transfer from what?!      Sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance Transfer Question

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

If you opened a card with the intention to use it for a Balance Transfer do you have to transfer the whole amount of whatever card to the new card or can you pick how much you transfer from what?!      Sorry if this has been answered somewhere.

How much to transfer is almost certainly your decision.   
That being said, if your utilization is high I would suggest paying off old card completely if an option.  
If you pay down to zero, marginally less danger of new card showing balance and balance still showing up on old card, before old bank reports payment.
Better chance of bank reporting mid-cycle if you pay down to zero.

Message 2 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I'll be paying a big chunk of one of my cards off soon but there will still be a lower couple thousand still left on it when the 0% intro rate expires so I was thinking of just moving whatever or maybe half of what is remaining to a different card while they are offering a low rate BT options....but I have read too that Card Companies frown upon BT ...(not sure if that is entirely accurate)?!

Message 3 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I'll be paying a big chunk of one of my cards off soon but there will still be a lower couple thousand still left on it when the 0% intro rate expires so I was thinking of just moving whatever or maybe half of what is remaining to a different card while they are offering a low rate BT options....but I have read too that Card Companies frown upon BT ...(not sure if that is entirely accurate)?!

Small amount, Don't fret about it.

Message 4 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Yep, you can choose how much. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

No, you can transfer as much or as little as you like.

Just bear in mind that your scores may dip if you put more than 28% or so on any one card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

When I was approved last March for an Amex with an 8000 CL the first thing I did was balance transfer $5000 to it. I've been approved for 3 Amexes since then.

With any product, if they're tryinig to sell it to me at a substantial discount, I have to assume they want me to buy it. 

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Yep, you can choose how much. 

Good luck! 

As mentioned above, you can decide on the amount.  Definitely give consideration for the BT fee (if applicable) and leave enough breathing room so your account isn't heavy on the balance (i.e. utilization).   The cost savings can definitely outweigh any temporary score dips.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.