Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer roulette

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer roulette

My cap one statement cuts today..and I have another card with a higher interest rate that's due on the first...an odd payment date for me. Anyhow, should I transfer that balance to the cap one, essentially maxing out cap one for the time being, to save on interest? I should be able to pay the balance off on the cap one before the 15th of next month..

And the one I'd be transferring FROM has met an untimely death via surgical scissors. Our sea world annual pass monthly charges go to it, so they can't close it for not being used..

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance transfer roulette

@Anonymous wrote:

My cap one statement cuts today..and I have another card with a higher interest rate that's due on the first...an odd payment date for me. Anyhow, should I transfer that balance to the cap one, essentially maxing out cap one for the time being, to save on interest? I should be able to pay the balance off on the cap one before the 15th of next month..

And the one I'd be transferring FROM has met an untimely death via surgical scissors. Our sea world annual pass monthly charges go to it, so they can't close it for not being used..

Ummm unless Capital One is sending you some kind of special offer they will be charging you 3-5% of the amount you transfer.  If you are paying it off in 25ish days from now don't move it!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It isn't an insane amount..just under $300 that I'd be transferring..basically just to clear the one off (the first is rent, two car notes and an installment loan..and it must be paid off since we need the best possible scores on 9/26) and gain a little extra more time to wipe out the balance on capital one.

They show "balance transfer offers" on my page, but it looks like I have to start the wholeprocess to see what it's all about..is the3-5% on top of my apr? But if I pay it off before next statement, will there still be interest?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And it says same as purchases, no fee..

Message 4 of 9
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ummm unless Capital One is sending you some kind of special offer they will be charging you 3-5% of the amount you transfer.  If you are paying it off in 25ish days from now don't move it!

Cap One doe no fee transfers, at least I get email every other day.

Follow usVisit Capital One on FacebookVisit Capital One on Twitter
SAVING MADE SIMPLE 
SAVE TIME BY CONSOLIDATING BILLS
Re: Your account ending in_____

__________,

Simplify your payments and simplify your life. Transfer your higher–rate balances to your Capital One® account at your purchase APR, with no transaction fee. 

In addition to saving money, you’ll save time by consolidating all of your outstanding balances into one convenient payment. 

Just log in to your account or call 1-866-381-0454 by November 1, 2012 to transfer a balance with no transaction fees. It’s fast, easy, and convenient!

Transfer Now

CONSOLIDATE BILLS FOR FREE
Transfer your higher-rate balances with no fee.
Transfer Now

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 5 of 9
LilNYC
New Contributor

Balance transfers aren't intantaneous, it can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to go through.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 6 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, with Capital One, the BT interest rate is usually higher, but they don't charge BT fees usually. Another option would be to just have them send you a check for the amount of the xfer, deposit it into your checking, then pay the other creditor - it took about 8-9 business days to get the check, which is much less than waiting for Capital One to send it to the other creditor IMO.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Yeah, with Capital One, the BT interest rate is usually higher, but they don't charge BT fees usually. Another option would be to just have them send you a check for the amount of the xfer, deposit it into your checking, then pay the other creditor - it took about 8-9 business days to get the check, which is much less than waiting for Capital One to send it to the other creditor IMO.

I always pay the same APR as I have with purchases,  11.9%, and no fees...  My only wish would be if I could match my high CL 6k (Amex Blue), Then it was be an excellent BT card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

We all know how Capital One sucks w CL's or CLI's. Ugh, even after 6 years, Im stuck at a CL of $1,300 :-/. My int rate is 13.99%
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.