Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Last Name Changed Automatically

tag
newUser0
Established Contributor

Bank of America Last Name Changed Automatically

I am in a unique situation. I have two words in my last name, and no middle name.

Example-

First Name - Welcome

Last Name - New User

When, I applied for the Bank of America card, last week, they automatically merged my last name as NewUser (Removed the space). On All of my Accounts with them (Checkings, Savings, 2 CC) I depend on this account for all CC payments with all other credit cards.  

If I make a payment for my Amex Card ( Did 2 payments before successfully on last two months ), will my payment be returned for name mismatch

I am not sure, on how the ACH transfers in US works? Will it take only account and routing numbers only or checks the name too?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
newUser0
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America Last Name Changed Automatically

enharu where are you?Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 18
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I have a hyphenated last name, and they did that on my credit card. I called them and had it fixed. But if you have made 2 payments and your name (abet incorrectly) is on the account, you shouldn't have a problem. 

Message 3 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not sure where Enharu is but I'll answer. My last name is hyphenated, I have most of my cards reporting correctly but 3 have them running together as the Worlds longest name.  I have not had any issues with Amex, Discover or BoA accepting, posting pyts. 

Message 4 of 18
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Not sure where Enharu is but I'll answer. My last name is hyphenated, I have most of my cards reporting correctly but 3 have them running together as the Worlds longest name.  I have not had any issues with Amex, Discover or BoA accepting, posting pyts. 

I do miss having people trying to pronounce my last name when it was running together on the card. "Thank you, Mr. um...Re...uhh." Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 18
newUser0
Established Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I have a hyphenated last name, and they did that on my credit card. I called them and had it fixed. But if you have made 2 payments and your name (abet incorrectly) is on the account, you shouldn't have a problem. 

I think you did not get the issue correctly.

My last name had a space (between two words) and it is how it was till Feb 10 2014 (From 2011) . 

I had no payment issues till now, because, my first and last names matched successfully. For my future payments, from now on, If they check my Last name, the space will not be there? Will this cause a problem for my future payments?

PS - I don't have any hyphens in my last names. But actually, EX will add that automatically in my CR. It has not caused any problem till now.

Message 6 of 18
newUser0
Established Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I do miss having people trying to pronounce my last name when it was running together on the card. "Thank you, Mr. um...Re...uhh." Smiley Tongue

lol.. I too have same issue, basically no can even say it correctly. Although its simpleSmiley Tongue

Message 7 of 18
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I think you did not get the issue correctly.

My last name had a space (between two words) and it is how it was till Feb 10 2014 (From 2011) . 

I had no payment issues till now, because, my first and last names matched successfully. For my future payments, from now on, If they check my Last name, the space will not be there? Will this cause a problem for my future payments?

PS - I don't have any hyphens in my last names. But actually, EX will add that automatically in my CR. It has not caused any problem till now.

I was aware you didn't have any hyphens. What I am saying is that even though your last name is not correctly displayed on your BoA account, you will not have a problem paying your creditors with the account. My former CU misspelled my name and it cleared payments like any other account would have.

Message 8 of 18
newUser0
Established Contributor

Thanks for Info.

Just now scheduled 2 CC Payments. Will see what happens...

Message 9 of 18
barbaralee
Established Contributor

From my understanding they don't care if the name is Joe BLowChristmas on the check, they match up the payment with the account that it is going to (which should be on the payment slip) or already inputted in from the web bill pay. They won't reject a payment just because the name doesn't match, it is the account number that matters.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.