cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit card for First Card/Building (not secured unless we just have to)

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Best Credit card for First Card/Building (not secured unless we just have to)

If this needs to be moved to CC area please do but I would like to find a great first card for my fiance....He doesn't know his score so I am assuming it is 550 or less like mine was when I first started but I didn't have you guys/gals when I first started either so instead of throwing him to cards I think may work I want to hear real experiences of a good starter card or someone you thought would deny you because of your lower score but ended up surprising you with an accepted letter/notice.   Smiley Happy       I don't have any information other than this would be his first CC so I know that would help but I don't want to be to 'nosey' and ask him to pull up his scores to see EXACTLY why and what is on it or how to approach the I would need to see ....maybe there are things he doesn't want me to know just yet?!  But he is open to a card to build up his history and things I just don't think he realizes how tough and strict it will be just yet and that it will be easy to open one.

35 REPLIES 35
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Credit card for First Card/Building (not secured unless we just have to)

You know he needs to pull his score to see where he stands. Creditchecktotal.com

Does he have any credit history at all; car, student loan, etc?

Try the prequal sites to see if any offers. At least he can gauge his credit worthiness. If no offers, it'll be secured route
Discover
Capital One
Citi
Amex

I recommend BoA and Discover secured.
Message 2 of 36
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Credit card for First Card/Building (not secured unless we just have to)

I was thinking Capital One myself but I just don't know how to be like...Let me see your scores and EVERY DETAIL without him feeling offended?!    We did coX together one vehicle but when I refinanced I flipped it to just my name so it may show as paid off on his side.....I believe he said he also just paid off his Student Loans so if anything he may have medical debt or those paid off ones but as far as CC he said he has never had one.    I will definitely try the Prequal sites with him and see Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Unsecured Capital One would be good. No to secured. It will not graduate.

Those two installment loans will help prop up his profile if paid satisfactorily and closed in good standing.

Maybe have him be put on as authorized user on a credit card?

If there is any derogatory or delinquency he needs to address those to give him a better chance at approval.
Message 4 of 36
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I thought about it ...butttttttt him being an AU could affect my scores if he misses a payment or something yes?!  or no?!   and for the last part I wouldn't know but I do know if he did we would have to remove them first before opting.

Message 5 of 36
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Although he may already be one since when I got my Visa I asked for a Card with his name too so does that mean I made him an AU?!    I can't believe I just now thought about that....SMH 

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Let me see your scores and EVERY DETAIL without him feeling offended?! "

You're about to...presumably...spend the rest of your lives together.....plus you're seen each other naked 😲

In all seriousness you're probably going to purchase some join stuff in the future. Time to get it all out there. Give him instructions on how to get all three scores from creditchecktotal.com and take it from there.

Message 7 of 36
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

ROFL I know I know I am just scared to take that 'JUMP' but if we do start now with him which was a topic we had then in a few years if he did need it for any reason then he would have at least 1-2 years Age (again not sure what all shows now) minimum.   Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Show him this site.

Link him to the approvals forum. That usually gets people excited.
Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're about to intertwine your finances and you're scared of seeing his CR's?  His reports / scores are probably just as high as yours since you've been comingling things already.  Just do whatever it takes to get the info together and if it starts a conversation about credit and finances so be it... you'll have plenty of them over the next 50 years or less if you don't start before tying the knot.  

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.