Citi custom cash has a very nice 5% cash back 

CONS are $500 monthly limit and it's combined limit if used on other purchases

PNC cash 4% on Gas 3% on restaurant and 2% on grocerys

CONS $8000 yearly limit and it's combined limit if used on other purchases

Costco 4% on Gas 3% on restaurant and grocery 2%on costco 

CONS $7000 yearly purchase limit on gas and reward payout 1 time a year

Penfed 5x points on Gas 3x points on grocerys and restaurants

CONS points worth $0.85 per 1 point and points can be used on gift cards

I like citi for th 5% cash back but having a $500 limit per month and it's combined if you don't use it for 100% gas it's not worth it.

Penfed I like but the only thing I don't like is points redeem into gift cards

What are your thoughts or recommendations on reward cards for gas

If you spend a lot on gas like I do, about 400/mo for both cars, I just use the Citi Custom as my gas card.  Just beware of places that charge you an extra for use of credit card.  Some are very low-key advertising the premium.  If you would do better with other categories, the Amex Blue Cash preferred gives you 3% back, and including parking, trains, and other auto-related expenses.  For some odd reason, speeding tickets are not covered.

Message 21 of 27
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Gas credit cards?

@Aim_High wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@Aim_Highwrote:   ... Here is a previous comprehensive list of the best gas cards that are still relevant.  See this thread for that complete list of capped 4% to 5% cash back gas cards.  That thread has (14) cards that earn a minimum of 4% back. The one card that is missing from that list is the new Citi Custom Cash that pays 5% on up to $500 per month ...

Son of a gun!  I just spent 45 minutes replying, then I got an error when I hit 'Post'.  Not sure I will include links to everything I originally had but here is the nutshell of what I originally posted.    Smiley Sad

Nice list A_H ...

I do think it is missing Nusenda ...  it is not uncommon for Nusenda to offer 5% CB in two quarters per year ...

Then I linked a credit union that you didn't list that offers 5% CB gas. 

Thanks @ptatohed.  Glad to share it. 

Dangit, I hate it when that happens ... losing a post I was working on.  (I sometimes write in word processor file before posting or save docs to one as I go to avoid that issue.)

Yes, good catch on the Nusenda CU.  That would bring the list up to 16.  I admit some of those in that list, however, are fenced membership credit unions that not everyone can join.  That would include the PCMCU and Aerospace FCU.  And it would probably also include the credit union I think you were planning to mention.  Was it L&N Federal Credit Union?  I've heard of them also but they appear to be very strictly geo-fenced to Southeastern and Northern Kentucky around Louisville including a couple of adjacent counties in Indiana.    They offer an uncapped 5% card on gas, similar to the Abound FCU Visa.   Counting L&N, however, would bring the list up to 17

LOL, it is now 1:50am the next day and, yes, I am tired, lol!  But, yeah, I do think L&M was one of the CUs I mentioned.  You are on it!  Smiley Wink     

https://www.lnfcu.com/credit-cards.html

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 22 of 27
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I just upgraded my ED to the EDP.  I "think" I get 2x MR points at gas stations.  I spend about $400-500 a month on gas so...

Message 23 of 27
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

@Ghost117 

I see you have Navy Fed, USAA has a 5% gas card(amex). Cons: capped at $1,500 per year.

You mean $3000 a year, not $1500. P2 has that card, since he works on a base atm, it's perfect for him.

SD - Biz -
Message 24 of 27
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

I just upgraded my ED to the EDP.  I "think" I get 2x MR points at gas stations.  I spend about $400-500 a month on gas so...

If you hit the 30 uses a month, you'll get 3x on gas. The EDP is a fantastic "use for most things" card, since you end up with 4.5x for groceries, which is really really good, and 3x for gas, and 1.5x everything else. It's not nearly as good if you're spreading your spend around and not hitting the 30 uses a month. If you want to make sure you always hit it, commit to a longer checkout at the grocery store one a month and run things individually on self-checkout. It's a pain, but I never had it not work.

SD - Biz -
Message 25 of 27
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_HighThank you for the legwork! I do love Costco prices!

Message 26 of 27
flash3
Established Member

I saw that PNC is offerring a $200 sign up bonus for their 4% Gas card.

How long do you think they will offer this promotional bonus?

Before they only offerred it for $100 sign up bonus.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.