Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best everyday usage Visa card

tag
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Best everyday usage Visa card

Hi all,

Recently paid off all debt and I'm looking to find an everyday visa card to use for normal purchases.

Purchases will be: Dining, Groceries, Costco (which is why a visa), Gas, Shopping.  It doesn't have to have a huge CL and it will be paid off every month (if not twice a month).

I'm looking for the card that has the best customer service. Cash back / Points are good as well but really want a card that I can call customer service and get someone on the phone if needed.

I have a bankruptcy in my history but I have a ton of open accounts with 64+ months on time paid history with no balance. Credit score in mid 700s.  I don't think Chase will touch me but to be honest with some of the stories about their customer service lately, I'm not really looking at them.

Cards I currently have that have good customer service:

Discover it - $10k CL

Navy Fed Amex - $2k CL

Other cards:

Rakuten Visa (Sync) - $2k CL but Sync is not what I'm looking for.

CreditOne Visa - have a 2.5k CL that I don't use and don't really want to close.

MerrickBank Visa - 2k CL that I don't use

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Best everyday usage Visa card

How old is the BK? If it's close to falling off your reports, it may suit you to wait for that.

Message 2 of 13
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@GatorsFan84 wrote:

Hi all,

Recently paid off all debt and I'm looking to find an everyday visa card to use for normal purchases.

Purchases will be: Dining, Groceries, Costco (which is why a visa), Gas, Shopping.  It doesn't have to have a huge CL and it will be paid off every month (if not twice a month).

I'm looking for the card that has the best customer service. Cash back / Points are good as well but really want a card that I can call customer service and get someone on the phone if needed.

I have a bankruptcy in my history but I have a ton of open accounts with 64+ months on time paid history with no balance. Credit score in mid 700s.  I don't think Chase will touch me but to be honest with some of the stories about their customer service lately, I'm not really looking at them.

Cards I currently have that have good customer service:

Discover it - $10k CL

Navy Fed Amex - $2k CL

Other cards:

Rakuten Visa (Sync) - $2k CL but Sync is not what I'm looking for.

CreditOne Visa - have a 2.5k CL that I don't use and don't really want to close.

MerrickBank Visa - 2k CL that I don't use

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

I'm pretty fond of my PenFed Platinum Signature Rewards Visa; it has pretty high rewards for a non annual fee card; the other Visa which I could be tempted to go for would be one of the two CapOne Savor cards.

The above said, the dizzying array of Visa cards out there can make your brain hurt trying to decide which would fit one's lifestyle the best.  Smiley Tongue

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 13
GatorsFan84
Contributor

The BK is from mid 2016.  So not quite there yet on it falling off.

Message 4 of 13
GatorsFan84
Contributor

I am a member of PenFed but the most important thing to me is customer service.  PenFed is ok on this front.  I'm looking for a Visa that has the customer service of Discover.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just get the NFCU cashRewards. You already have the AMEX, you're already happy with their customer service, and while it's a 1.5% card, you can use the AMEX for 3% on dining, groceries, gas, and transit while using the cashRewards VISA for everything else. 

It's hard to get better than NFCU customer service IMO. Their cards grow like weeds too. 

They also have the Member Deals that will earn you an additional 1% minimum on every purchase you make through there which can add up quick in my experience with the card. 

Message 6 of 13
GatorsFan84
Contributor

NCFU is weird for me.  They loved me post BK and pretty much immediately gave me a preapproval for the Amex.  I've gone through 2 CLI but then all of a sudden the love stopped.  It's very strange.  I've used their preapproval tool and it doesn't say I'm preapproved for any of the cards.  I contacted customer service a few months ago to see if I could PC the Amex to one of the Visa cards and it was a no go.

Message 7 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

What exactly is "good customer service"? 

You want them to be chatty or competent? Are you anticipating the need to call lender daily? 

The reason I am asking is, if good customer service is a requirement, for me, that's been everyone, really. 

I dont need them to talk to me about my lunch or giggle at my jokes, I only need them to be able to resolve the issue if there is one. 

You should focus on benefits, that's what you're applying for, you're not entering relationship with CSRs. 

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, based on personal experience and perceived injustice, but some feel that way about Discover, too. 

Message 8 of 13
GatorsFan84
Contributor

I'm looking for good customer service because I live in part of the country where fraud is rampant and I've had to call Discover multiple times because of a cloned card, fraud purchase, etc.  Also, I just appreciate good customer service.  When I call NFCU a person picks up the phone knowing who I am and is very helpful. When I call CapitalOne or BoA they don't give a flying flip what you are saying really.

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@GatorsFan84 wrote:

NCFU is weird for me.  They loved me post BK and pretty much immediately gave me a preapproval for the Amex.  I've gone through 2 CLI but then all of a sudden the love stopped.  It's very strange.  I've used their preapproval tool and it doesn't say I'm preapproved for any of the cards.  I contacted customer service a few months ago to see if I could PC the Amex to one of the Visa cards and it was a no go.

Navy prequals are not something to be used to judge where you stand with them. They appear to work for some and for others not. When you get approved after being prequalwd, of course one will say they work. Just ask a person who has 3 cards or at their max if Navy prequals are 100% legit lol. 

Be careful saying a lender loves you based of cli or approvals. Lenders only care that they make money and get paid. Default, be late, etc and see how far they go to bat for you. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.