Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA MC to WMC question

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

BoA MC to WMC question

I have the BankAmericard Cash Rewards 123 or 321 (however you look at it) its the MC not VISA. Could I call and have that upgraded to the WMC with chip or do they just do the VISA Sig with chip?  I think I seen almost any card can have a chip for BoA.

Thanks

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BoA MC to WMC question

With BoA you have to apply for the upgrade, but it's no HP and takes about 4 weeks from request to card in hand.  I don't recall if they changed my acct # or not, but it keeps the same "open" date on the CR.

Message 2 of 15
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

With BoA you have to apply for the upgrade, but it's no HP and takes about 4 weeks from request to card in hand.  I don't recall if they changed my acct # or not, but it keeps the same "open" date on the CR.

I didn't know about this.

I got my BOA Cash Rewards Visa card upgraded to Visa Sig back in February of this year, had a $1k limit, took the HP for CLI, approved for the full asking $6k through recon.  Then I asked the analyst to see if i can get my card upgraded to Visa Sig, and she said yes.  So assuming that she used the same HP for the CLI + Visa Sig upgrade if HP was needed in general to get the upgrade....

Anyways,  yes it does take about 4weeks for the conversion process, I did get the new account #, and kept the same open date on the CR. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@yudeology101 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I got my BOA Cash Rewards Visa card upgraded to Visa Sig back in February of this year, had a $1k limit, took the HP for CLI, approved for the full asking $6k through recon.  Then I asked the analyst to see if i can get my card upgraded to Visa Sig, and she said yes.  So assuming that she used the same HP for the CLI + Visa Sig upgrade if HP was needed in general to get the upgrade....

Anyways,  yes it does take about 4weeks for the conversion process, I did get the new account #, and kept the same open date on the CR. 

I was at $2.5k, took a HP for CLI to $5k then requested the upgrade about a month later.  At the time the analyst said it's not another HP.  OP, maybe find out if that's still the case from BoA before you pull the trigger.

Message 4 of 15
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I was at $2.5k, took a HP for CLI to $5k then requested the upgrade about a month later.  At the time the analyst said it's not another HP.  OP, maybe find out if that's still the case from BoA before you pull the trigger.

I'm sorry...I've misread your reply, i thought you wrote it WAS a HP....Sorry for the confusion! Smiley Wink  It's Friday and my head is going in the tubes...especially after reading some wild threads last night & this morning.

Yea, i don't think it's a HP to request the conversion from regular Visa to Visa Sig.

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 15
Jlu
Established Contributor

From my most recent experience - roughly 3 weeks ago...

Started with a BOA 3-2-1 Secured Visa card @ $300.

Graduated 1 year later with a CLI to $2500 and collateral refund.

Requested $8000 limit 2 weeks ago.. approved with a HP.

Requested (on the same analyst call) that the card be converted to a Visa Signature - no problem (sure that would apply to WMC).

Request submitted and takes 3-4 weeks to be converted - same account number, no extra credit pulls, same tradeline - just a shiny new card with Siggy/WMC logo & benefits that go along with it.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 6 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Cool, I just took the HP yesterday for a CLI $3500 to $8100. I will call and see if I can get it upgraded to the WMC since I already have some VISA Sigs.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 7 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Which # would you suggest I call and request the upgrade to WMC?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 8 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Try BofA:  866-811-4108  (Credit analyst - existing cardholders)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Try BofA:  866-811-4108  (Credit analyst - existing cardholders)

thought so.....thanks!

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.