Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR 5/24 Recon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR 5/24 Recon

Good morning!

I've lurked a longtime on this board and finally have an exeperience worth talking about. I've been tracking my open cards hoping to get the CSR right before the bonus nerf. After some research, it seemed likely that I just dropped under 5/24 at the start of this month so I went to a Chase branch to apply. I received the dreaded 7-10 days message from the banker. I immediately called the recon line and was denied because of too many new cards in the last 2 years. The rep, who wasn't the most friendly person, said I had 6 in 2 years which caught me completely off guard. We walked through my credit report and she said even if she removed the last 1 or 2 (reluctantly) it was still too much. Here are the dates of the most recent cards opened:

3/21/16

3/15/16

3/5/16

3/16/15

2/27/15

1/08/15

The rep admitted she was counting the january 2015 card and said she could remove it. She didn't seem too keen on counting the February card as over 2 years and said I still would be declined. Does anyone think I have a case here? I probably wasn't the most prepared when I called and that is on me. If I call back and walk them through the report would it work? Maybe if I wait 30 days (which would be April) the age of the cards might change? Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
George528
Contributor

Re: CSR 5/24 Recon

I would definitely call back if you are pretty sure that is their only reason for a denial.  It seems like an obvious thing to explain and overcome.  

Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Unfortunately, 5/24 is very hard to recon. The reps have very limited ability (and/or desire) to overturn it.

Counting the 2/27 card you are pretty much at exactly 5/24. Although 2/27 was now just over 2 years ago, we're talking about a few days of difference, and it could be they don't officially consider it past 2 years yet.

The HP for the app is typically reusable for 30 days (ie if you recon within the next 30 days, no new HP) so you could wait a couple weeks and then try to recon again.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say don't bother unless in branch and can have your banker advocate for you.
Message 4 of 13
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Like the above poster said, they are pretty hard on the 5/24 rule.  I was less than 30 days away from my 5th falling off and they still told me I would have to apply again.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait until the 17th and call back. You will be well under the 5/24 rule. If CSR doesn't budge ask for the manager and make your case.

I had a similar experience with the CSR and AUs. Literally, worst Recon experience of my life. After seemingly endless actions and calls I was finally able to get a rep and mgr who agreed to approving the app. Though, it still had to go for a secondary or additional review. Finally got approved about 5 days after my last recon call. They did not repull my reports.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please go to the same banker and explain your situations again.. If not, as others have suggested please ask for Manager and explain your situation and let them do the talking with underwriter..

I was approved in branch for CSR yesterday and I still sit at 6/24. You can read more in this thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/CSR-should-I-apply/td-p/4869105

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like from that thread, Chase pulled EX which lists the date so Chase is still considering my card from February 27, 2015 as still 2 years. I guess I'll wait until the end of the month to Recon when that should no longer be the case. 

Message 8 of 13
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Seems like people are having better luck in branch if they are over 5/24.  Are you close to a branch? 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllCredit wrote:

Seems like people are having better luck in branch if they are over 5/24.  Are you close to a branch? 

I applied in branch.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.