cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Get the Signup Bonus for TWO AAdavntage Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I Get the Signup Bonus for TWO AAdavntage Cards?

Hi guys!

I started travelling a lot at the beginning of this year and began researching airline rewards. I am already a member of Alaska and American Airline's reward programs, but I just applied for my first airline cards the other day. I am a loyal Citi card holder and, in the process of researching the American Airlines card, they sent me an offer for the MileUp card (no annual fee with a $50 + 10,000 mile bonus offer). I signed up and was approved for $1,600.

Of course, then I did more research that I should have done prior and ended up applying for the Platinum Select card, too. They approved me for $4,000 ($99 annual fee, waived first year with a 50,000 mile bonus offer).

The wording on the card pages reads:

• Mile Up: "American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a statement credit or American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles for a new AAdvantage MileUpSM account in the past 48 months."
  • Platinum Select: "American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months"

That makes it sound like I can get the bonuses for BOTH cards, but I wanted to be sure because, if I have to choose, obviously I'm going for the bigger one.

SIDE QUESTION: I'm also curious if I can use one of these American Airlines mile earning cards to pay for purchases through mileageplanshopping.com (Alaska's site) and earn miles through both programs at once? 

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I Get the Signup Bonus for TWO AAdavntage Cards?

Howdy!

To answer the easier part of your questions is yes, you can use any card you want when shopping through a portal.

To address the issue with the MileUp vs the Platinum Select card...I thinking (and I could be wrong) that you'll only receive the bonus on one of those card.

Rumor has it that Citi is extending the bonus time on the AAdvantage cards. The issue that would be of more concern to me is that since you applied for and were approved for the lower bonus card first, is that is the one that Citi will go by as far as earning the sub.

I would call and ask because there would be no reason to put a lot of spend on the Platinum Select card if they are not going to honor the bonus in the end anyway...and you would have wasted the time that you'd need to collect on the lower card.

I think if you want definitive answer to your question you may have to phone up Citi...and even then I'd be skeptical of the information received from a front line CSR.

Best of luck to you and I hope one or both of them work in your favor.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't count your eggs with 2 Citi cards within the 48 month period. I would go grab the Barclay's version for the double bonus if you really want the extra miles.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/aadvantage-aviator-red-world-elite-mastercard/

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you should be able to get the bonus for both cards since Citi considers the Mile Up and Platinum Select AA cards different products.

Slightly off topic, would I have to wait 48 months to snag another bonus even if I was approved for my 2nd Platinum AA card which had the 24 month wording?

Message 4 of 6
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I’ll answer your question and then i’ll Answer your question 😉

Yes, you can get the AA Mileup card and the Platinum AA card. You can get the bonus for both as they are different products and the language allows for it.

Now to answer the question you didn’t even know to ask.

I know people that are on their 6th AA platinum select card bonus and all. All opened under a year. Do some reading on FT to learn more about that grAAvy train.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you should be able to get the bonus for both cards since Citi considers the Mile Up and Platinum Select AA cards different products.

Slightly off topic, would I have to wait 48 months to snag another bonus even if I was approved for my 2nd Platinum AA card which had the 24 month wording?

The 48 month language will be the terms when you start the app for the new card. 

It is cute that your existing AA card says 24 months, but that applied at the time you apped that specific card. 

And I agree, MileUp and Platinum AA are different products, OP should expect both bonuses after meeting the spend for each.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.