cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can they close your unused card if it has leftover points?

tag
wdkwang
Contributor

Can they close your unused card if it has leftover points?

Hi,

My oldest card by far is a 17 year old Amex Delta that hasn't been used in 5-10 years, however, it has leftover points from purchases and no balance. I'm led to believe companies close your card if its inactive for 1 or 2 years. Is it safe to assume that an unused card with leftover points will not be closed? I have 9 cards that i want to keep open for the sake of credit score and total credit limit, but i only have so many monthly bills i can assign to each card to show activity. Thanks.
Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Can they close your unused card if it has leftover points?

Any creditor can close any account on any day for any reason.

If you'd like to keep the account open and usable, then USE it. 

A small purchase every few months is enough.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For this particular situation once the miles are in your Skymiles account they stay there and never expire last time I checked. So in the event AMEX closes your Delta card for non-use your miles should still be there.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

But even if you don’t use it they would have to give you the rewards you accrued right? They don’t expire?
Message 4 of 11
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

No credit cards don’t have to give you your points.

It clearly states for most rewards programs that points don’t expire as long as your account stays open and active and out of default.

Some companies give you 30 days to use points if the account is closed. Some do not

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Not always.  Sometimes they look for significant usage to justify the CL  

Message 6 of 11
SBR249
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Not always.  Sometimes they look for significant usage to justify the CL  

While that may be true, I have yet to hear of any lender straight up closing cards because you aren't putting enough spend on it. Closing cards for inactivity is not the same as CLD for lack of spend. Most lenders will do the former if your card is inactive for long enough, the lender that I hear doing the latter the most often is Capital One. 

As for the question of unused CC rewards, I believe that in the generic case of a hypothetical "CC reward program", the points (or whatever else reward scheme units) remain the property of the CC program owner until they are actually redeemed by the customer. So if you have miles, transferring or banking them to your miles account with the airline would count as a redemption. But if you have something like AmEx MR points and you leave them on the card, they are considered property of AmEx until you use them and can be revoked or withdrawn at any point before that subject to the terms of the card agreement. 

Message 7 of 11
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Any lender can close an account based on inactivity. If a person is not using their CL and has not been for a certain period of time, they will likely close it. No point in extending credit to someone that hasn't used it in a certain period of time. I recently had Citi close one of my cards for inactivity but I was able to get it reopened. Apparently I hadn't used it for over a year and half.

My suggestion as others may have mentioned - throw on a small charge every 3 months and pay it off. You'll never have to worry about it being closed for inactivity.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

wrote:
My oldest card by far is a 17 year old Amex Delta that hasn't been used in 5-10 years, however, it has leftover points from purchases and no balance. I'm led to believe companies close your card if its inactive for 1 or 2 years. Is it safe to assume that an unused card with leftover points will not be closed? 

Delta Amex miles posts to your Delta SkyMiles account at the end of each month (or 8-12 weeks after, for miles earned with flight). Technically, you should not have leftover points.

Message 9 of 11
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Yes, you can have your card closed by the creditor for infrequent use.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.