Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap one closed

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Cap one closed

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's always been quite common for lenders to close cards for non-usage (sometimes with a warning, "use by XXXX or we will close", but often not).   Some lenders are quicker than others, and certainly Cap One was one of slower ones, two years being common whereas others might close in less than a year (at one point Barclays specifically said it could be closed for 3 months of non-use, but don't think they actually did that).

It's possible that some lenders are now acting more quickly, leading to a possible uptick (but I am not sure there really is one, we have often seen them come in groups like this).

I just put a $1 charge on my 22 year old QS.    See if that helps (they previously cut the CL because I wasn't spending enough, even though it was used)

I've read about a few cases, not recent, of Barclays closing cards after as little as 6 months of inactivity.

I keep my QS locked between my infrequent Postmates orders. I just wish they offered ebills.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's always been quite common for lenders to close cards for non-usage (sometimes with a warning, "use by XXXX or we will close", but often not).   Some lenders are quicker than others, and certainly Cap One was one of slower ones, two years being common whereas others might close in less than a year (at one point Barclays specifically said it could be closed for 3 months of non-use, but don't think they actually did that).

It's possible that some lenders are now acting more quickly, leading to a possible uptick (but I am not sure there really is one, we have often seen them come in groups like this).

I just put a $1 charge on my 22 year old QS.    See if that helps (they previously cut the CL because I wasn't spending enough, even though it was used)

I've read about a few cases, not recent, of Barclays closing cards after as little as 6 months of inactivity.

I keep my QS locked between my infrequent Postmates orders. I just wish they offered ebills.

I've figured a few years ago that they might be tightening the "idle" period. One transaction per year I thought was risky and using the card more than once per 6 months was safe. I use all mine every month, except Lowe's.

I've wondered even if a minimum amount per year would be in the making down the road, such as charging a minimum of $100/yr is required to keep the card open.

Message 22 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've wondered even if a minimum amount per year would be in the making down the road, such as charging a minimum of $100/yr is required to keep the card open.

That did seem to be the case for a handful of us with high limits on Cap One cards (well, CLD rather than close) but that was maybe 2 years ago, and haven't heard anything similar since.

It would seem to make a lot of sense: if I give you an $X CL, I want some percent of it spend each year, spending $1 every six months shouldn't cut it.     And if you were getting paper statements, and sending in checks, my threshold would be higher.

But issuers don't seem to be doing this, perhaps not worth the expense of coding.

Message 23 of 35
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I use all mine every month, except Lowe's.

Won't that cause you getting the dreaded "Carrying a balance on too many bankcards and revolving accounts?" message on a credit report?

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That did seem to be the case for a handful of us with high limits on Cap One cards (well, CLD rather than close) but that was maybe 2 years ago, and haven't heard anything similar since.

It would seem to make a lot of sense: if I give you an $X CL, I want some percent of it spend each year, spending $1 every six months shouldn't cut it.     And if you were getting paper statements, and sending in checks, my threshold would be higher.

But issuers don't seem to be doing this, perhaps not worth the expense of coding.

If they ever wanted to reduce the number of accounts, this would be the way to do it. A pack of gum per year couldn't keep the account open.

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benzman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use all mine every month, except Lowe's.

Won't that cause you getting the dreaded "Carrying a balance on too many bankcards and revolving accounts?" message on a credit report?

That's almost always #1 on my credit report that is keeping my score from being higher. It's only a few points, they can keep them. 

Message 26 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:I use all mine every month, except Lowe's.

That's almost always #1 on my credit report that is keeping my score from being higher. It's only a few points, they can keep them. 

Also, someone could be using all their cards and then paying most of them off before statement cuts to avoid that.  Easy to do in this day and age of instant access to transactions, balances, and ability to make quick online payments.  Many of us on My Fico routinely pay off balances early anyway. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think the problem is that the "buy a pack of gum a year to keep the card active" thing has become much more common. Even outside of this forum I've seen it recommended on various articles about whether to close unwanted cards etc. Now that the idea of "don't close it, just minimally use it" is becoming common lenders are likely seeing tons of unused credit lines, but not quite as many people closing the account outright. So, maybe the standards will tighten up.

Message 28 of 35
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I just spent some time loading some money into my Amazon account with cards that have been dormant for a while.

Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the problem is that the "buy a pack of gum a year to keep the card active" thing has become much more common. Even outside of this forum I've seen it recommended on various articles about whether to close unwanted cards etc. Now that the idea of "don't close it, just minimally use it" is becoming common lenders are likely seeing tons of unused credit lines, but not quite as many people closing the account outright. So, maybe the standards will tighten up.

The numbers of people actually doing this is likely still extremely small. Remember, most people don't have even 4 cards, much less the numbers we amass here, and it's much more likely they're actually using all of their cards. 

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.