Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 First 6 Month CLI Question

tag
Bkewlbro
New Contributor

Cap1 First 6 Month CLI Question

Hello! I got my first Cap One Plat card back in June! I was started at $300 CL. By Aug(2 months in), I couldn't help myself! I hit the "CLI Button"! Surprisingly I was issued a $100 increase. Not much but hey, it's something. Their website says if I pay my bill on time for 6 months, my CL will be increased to $500. That's only a $100 CLI. I'm spending probably close to $900-1200 a month on this card and making multiple payments every month and bringing the balance to zero before they report. By the time the 6 month CLI comes all 3 reporting agencies should be above 670. I talked with a rep today to see if there was a chance I would receive a larger CLI, but I was told, "they go by the offer and this was the largest increase I would receive and manual review was not possible".

Would anyone have any advise on getting a better CLI? Was I just getting blown off with my questioning or would it be worth the trouble asking for a supervisor?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap1 First 6 Month CLI Question

@Bkewlbro wrote:

Hello! I got my first Cap One Plat card back in June! I was started at $300 CL. By Aug(2 months in), I couldn't help myself! I hit the "CLI Button"! Surprisingly I was issued a $100 increase. Not much but hey, it's something. Their website says if I pay my bill on time for 6 months, my CL will be increased to $500. That's only a $100 CLI. I'm spending probably close to $900-1200 a month on this card and making multiple payments every month and bringing the balance to zero before they report. By the time the 6 month CLI comes all 3 reporting agencies should be above 670. I talked with a rep today to see if there was a chance I would receive a larger CLI, but I was told, "they go by the offer and this was the largest increase I would receive and manual review was not possible".

Would anyone have any advise on getting a better CLI? Was I just getting blown off with my questioning or would it be worth the trouble asking for a supervisor?

Unfortunately your card is in the "credit steps program", they will bump you to 500 as they stated. There is no real way around this one😐And cap one CSR virtually have no power, they can't change that.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 10
Bkewlbro
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! You rock! Thanks for the info, I'll just wait this one out then and enjoy my credit rebuild! If this is my biggest issue, then I'm good! lol. Guess it's just time to sit back and do some gardening. Started with a 525 avg 4 months back and up to a 640-650 avg now! Time to just sit back and enjoy the sunshine and watch things grow! 

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Bkewlbro wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! You rock! Thanks for the info, I'll just wait this one out then and enjoy my credit rebuild! If this is my biggest issue, then I'm good! lol. Guess it's just time to sit back and do some gardening. Started with a 525 avg 4 months back and up to a 640-650 avg now! Time to just sit back and enjoy the sunshine and watch things grow! 

Thanks again!

Sounds like you are on the right path.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 10
Bkewlbro
New Contributor

Thanks! Been watching everything none stop! Trying really hard to make some big moves in the next 6-12 months. It's nice hearing I'm on track!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by a CSR that if you really use the card they evaluate you after the first 6 months and you arent stuck to a $500 step. I'm willing to bet the CSR was just telling me what I wanted to hear to get me off of the phone. However I'm at the 6 month mark and due to receive my CLI. I use my card about the same as you so when I get my CLI I can let you know if the usage is worth it.

Granted the only difference is I have a quicksilver one card and not the platinum. I would think the same rules would apply to any of their step programs. I also PIF before every statement.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also my scores are a little higher (690s) but I'm sure in 3 months when you get your increase you'll also be in the same range
Message 7 of 10
Bkewlbro
New Contributor

Heck ya brother! Keep me updaated if you remember. Much appreciated!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welp, just received my increase. Despite all of my efforts and extra spending on the card, I was only graced with the 500 CL. In a month I'm going to go for a chase card and probably discover and put this in the sock drawer.

Message 9 of 10
twiddledee
Contributor

My daughter started with the CAP 1 Platinum for $300 and in credit steps.....First credit card for her, also approved for a $18K auto loan thru CAP1....she just completed credit steps and called me today and they increased hers $2000 to a total of $2300.  Income is $32000 she lives with us, thin file......Not sure of the reasoning.  Just wanted to share.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.