Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI question

tag
redneck18
Contributor

Capital One CLI question

I hit the LUV button the other day, been doing so about once a week since second statement cut, finally approved for a CLI, but only for $100 or 10% of current limit. I declined that offer. My question is, has anyone ran into this, declined the offer, then requested again and gotten a better offer? Or is this all they are willing to give at the moment??
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI question

That's all they're willing to give at this time.  If you decine it and request again, the number will likely be the same until something changes with your profile to warrant a greater CLI.  10% isn't the end of the world.  Your SL was pretty low, so you'd expect the first CLI or two to be relatively low as well.  I wouldn't expect your first CLI to exceed 25% ($250 on your account) so really you're only holding off for another $150.  If it's worth that to you, hold off.  If not, accept what they are offering you now so that you can start growing the card, and hopefully the next CLI in 6 months will be $500, then the one after that $1k+ etc.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

you could get a better offer by waiting some, or just the same thing. I got my increase from them at 61 days and went from $300 to $1800.
I have read posts of others waiting a week or so after being offered a small increase and getting a better offer later
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best thing to do to get Cap One to open the purse strings is spend like crazy - need a $3000 limit?  spend $3000 in a billing cycle by paying the card off 6 times if you have to

With these guys the more you spend (and pay off before it hits your credit report) the more you get

I've documented my own experiences with them in my rebuild thread

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 7
redneck18
Contributor

Thanks guys. Exactly the insight I was searching for.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tyger, did you do the same for the NFCU card to get that huge increse too? I've had my NFCU card for 2 months with a 1K limit, been spending about 1500/mth on it, and making 3 pmts/mth. 1st month on my Cap 1, already made 1 good size payment on it before my 1st statement. Hoping to get some big increases myself.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Tyger, did you do the same for the NFCU card to get that huge increse too? I've had my NFCU card for 2 months with a 1K limit, been spending about 1500/mth on it, and making 3 pmts/mth. 1st month on my Cap 1, already made 1 good size payment on it before my 1st statement. Hoping to get some big increases myself.

Believe it or not, No - Navy will increase you if your profile supports it, your activity on the card notwithstanding.  I had sock-drawered my Navy card after they turned me down at the November AR, and only decided to try again on the January AR on a lark (I did it in the middle of the night, fully prepared to call in and have them stop the pull)

the take-away for Navy is just to make sure it's been at least 3 full statement cycles AND an AR after the third statement before you apply.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.