Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Card Upgrade!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Card Upgrade!

I currently have a Capital One Platinum Mastercard and a Quicksilver One. After reading about how the Platinum isn't the best for bigger CLs, I decided to message Capital One on facebook to see if I could upgrade my Platinum. They sent me a link in about 10 minutes to check for an upgrade. Turns out I was eligible! My Platinum is now a Quicksilver (yes, not a QS1, a QS)! My current score (616 TU according to CreditWise) would not get my approved for that card via an application. I LOVE Capital One! Easy access, good customer service, and it clearly pays off to have a good relationship with them.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Card Upgrade!

Congrats on your upgrade. Now you can get cash back. Its how I started. Once you grow some more. Combine the QS1 to the QS and close it out and its 39.00 AF.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Already tried, gotta wait one more month till my QS1 has been open for 6 months.

Message 3 of 20
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

Congrats!! I give CapOne respect points for helping me build my credit after my BK, but my FNB Cards are my favorite. Easy to deal with, local customer support, rewards are good, etc. I find CapOne to be very hard to read. I would keep both cards active for AAoA purposes (keep lengthing credit history) and upgrade the other to a Savor or VentureOne. I had 2 QS1 cards, one of which I upgraded to a VentureOne because I didn’t want an annual fee, my other QS1 has been my “dud” card until just a few days ago I finally got a $3,000 increase on it(the most it’s got before is $500 increments). Kind of surprised me because my other card I’ve been able to get 2x the CL & upgraded it so hence why the QS1 is called the “dud” card. For some reason my cards are on the flip-flop now with Cap1 as I got denied an increase on my Venture1 stating along the lines of “evaluating usage at assigned credit levels”, odd since I haven’t used the QS1 in many months yet I’ve PIF over $4,000 in that same period on my Venture1. Moral of the story is Cap1 is impossible to figure out anymore....probably why I don’t like them as much anymore.

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask what type of credit you have from FNB, your history with them, and your scores upon approval? I've been looking into them as a possible bank to get a PLOC from

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KDKobes wrote:
Congrats!! I give CapOne respect points for helping me build my credit after my BK, but my FNB Cards are my favorite. Easy to deal with, local customer support, rewards are good, etc. I find CapOne to be very hard to read. I would keep both cards active for AAoA purposes (keep lengthing credit history) and upgrade the other to a Savor or VentureOne. I had 2 QS1 cards, one of which I upgraded to a VentureOne because I didn’t want an annual fee, my other QS1 has been my “dud” card until just a few days ago I finally got a $3,000 increase on it(the most it’s got before is $500 increments). Kind of surprised me because my other card I’ve been able to get 2x the CL & upgraded it so hence why the QS1 is called the “dud” card. For some reason my cards are on the flip-flop now with Cap1 as I got denied an increase on my Venture1 stating along the lines of “evaluating usage at assigned credit levels”, odd since I haven’t used the QS1 in many months yet I’ve PIF over $4,000 in that same period on my Venture1. Moral of the story is Cap1 is impossible to figure out anymore....probably why I don’t like them as much anymore.

Also thanks for the advice, I think I'll keep my current QS1 and see if I can upgrade to a Venture card in a few months.

Message 6 of 20
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

I have 2 cards with them the FNB Complete Rewards Card (4 months old)(2% back into First National Account), & the Ducks Unlimited Visa (less than 1 month old)(5% back on gas/sporting goods). Both have $1,000 limits. My scores have been 660ish (Complete Rewards Card) & 678 (Ducks Unlimited) on approval, they don’t like more than a few INQ’s or new accounts, they don’t like higher balances on anything on your report either. My Complete Rewards Card I applied through my banker (definitely recommend doing so if you do) and originally got denied due to low credit score but my banker was able to get me approved due to our banking relationships (own a business). My Ducks Unlimited was denied as well due to too many INQ’s (7 at the time) but approved on recon. They always pull EX for me too. I’ve been to over half a dozen different banks & credit unions in my area then finally landed at First National Bank & been there since (over a couple years now).

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I ask what type of credit you have from FNB, your history with them, and your scores upon approval? I've been looking into them as a possible bank to get a PLOC from

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 7 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@KDKobes wrote:

Bingo.same story here.

Message 8 of 20
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Congrats on your upgrade. Now you can get cash back. Its how I started. Once you grow some more. Combine the QS1 to the QS and close it out and its 39.00 AF.

@FireMedic1 Love your siggy! RIP starter cards!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 9 of 20
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

OP,

Congrats on getting the upgrade! The other responses are spot on. Cap One is a great rebuilder and will help give you more opportunities when rebuilding those scores.

The one thing I love about my QS is bring able to apply those cash rewards fairly quickly. Other issues makes you wait till you reach a certain threshold or have other rules for cash back. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.