Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Quicksilver change network strategy

tag
kenyong
New Visitor

Capital One Quicksilver change network strategy

Hi I understand it's not possible to change current QS from Visa to MasterCard. Any strategy to upgrade QS to another card first, and then downgrade it back to QS (so this QS will be a MasterCard)? Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Quicksilver change network strategy

I don't believe so - once you are on a certain network, PCing around won't change the network. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 9
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

I'm assuming this is an older QS with it being Visa (current new QS accouts are issued as a WEMC)?  Also, is there a particular reason you want it to be a Mastercard?  

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 3 of 9
kenyong
New Visitor

I want to have the better benefits from MC World Elite. Yes my current QS is the older version. 

@Zoostation1 wrote:

I'm assuming this is an older QS with it being Visa (current new QS accouts are issued as a WEMC)?  Also, is there a particular reason you want it to be a Mastercard?  

Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kenyong wrote:

I want to have the better benefits from MC World Elite. Yes my current QS is the older version. 

@Zoostation1 wrote:

As mentioned upthread, it will stay in the same network. There are both networks still in circulation and Capital One hasn't enforced any strict or network uniformity with all of their legacy cards to switch everyone to a single network. My QS is still a VS and it's been PC'd from Venture before.

Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kenyong wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

Which benefits? I ask because although they are giving out WEMCs, they've been gutted of pretty much all useful benefits (lenders, in this case Cap One, get to pick and choose which benefits to provide), so it's no better than a standard Visa Platinum. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@kenyong wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

Which benefits? I ask because although they are giving out WEMCs, they've been gutted of pretty much all useful benefits (lenders, in this case Cap One, get to pick and choose which benefits to provide), so it's no better than a standard Visa Platinum. 

A couple lenders have notoriously stripped almost all network benefits from their higher tier cards, but when Capital One upgraded almost everyone's cards to WEMC's last year, the upgrade included a lot of the Mastercard benefits. 

This is the list for their standard WEMCs:

• Purchase assurance
  • Price protection
  • Extended warranty
  • Digital merchant offers
  • Concierge services
  • ID theft protection
  • Identity fraud expense reimbursement
  • Travel assistance services
  • MasterRental coverage
  • Worldwide automatic travel accident, baggage delay & trip cancellation/interruption insurance
  • Lost or damaged luggage

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits-guide/

Message 7 of 9
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymalous 

@Anonymalous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@kenyong wrote:

@Zoostation1 wrote:

A couple lenders have notoriously stripped almost all network benefits from their higher tier cards, but when Capital One upgraded almost everyone's cards to WEMC's last year, the upgrade included a lot of the Mastercard benefits. 

This is the list for their standard WEMCs:

• Purchase assurance
  • Price protection
  • Extended warranty
  • Digital merchant offers
  • Concierge services
  • ID theft protection
  • Identity fraud expense reimbursement
  • Travel assistance services
  • MasterRental coverage
  • Worldwide automatic travel accident, baggage delay & trip cancellation/interruption insurance
  • Lost or damaged luggage

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits-guide/

There really weren't many "perks" added with the "upgrade" of the Capital One World MC's to World Elite MC's.  I think it enabled access to experiences and such, perhaps?

Capital One World Mastercard Guide to Benefits shows the following same benefits:

• Purchase Assurance
  • Price Protection
  • Extended Warranty
  • World Mastercard Digital Merchant Offers
  • Concierge Services
  • Mastercard ID Theft Protection
  • Identity Fraud Expense Reimbursement
  • Travel Assistance Services
  • MasterRental Coverage
  • Worldwide Automatic Travel Accident, Baggage Delay & Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
  • Lost or Damaged Luggage
Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 8 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

There really weren't many "perks" added with the "upgrade" of the Capital One World MC's to World Elite MC's.  I think it enabled access to experiences and such, perhaps?

Capital One World Mastercard Guide to Benefits shows the following same benefits:

That's still Mastercard World, though. Until the upgrade to a WEMC, my Quicksilver was a Platinum. I'm not sure what if any network benefits it included, but I don't believe it had that full list.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.