Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Secured Card

Ive had my Capital One secured card since June of 2014. I opened a regular C1 Platinum Mastercard in September of 2016.

Both cards have always been paid on time. When in the world will they graduate the secured card to an unsecured card?! Stuck at a $601 limit for years now lol so frustrating! Any insight?!?!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Card

That’s the famous Cap One bucket. My advice would be to close them and get a better card. 

Discover It: 26.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 6.5k
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I had a CapOne Secured for about 2-3 years before they graduated it. Discover it Secured was much faster, about 6-8 months I think. Have you called and asked them to graduate it? Then you can PC it to QS or QSOne.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had mine for a year now and no graduation as soon as I have another credit (not store card) I'm gonna close it unless they graduate it by then which I fine unlikely.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No i've never tried calling them...I'll give that a shot this weekend. Fingers crossed!

I would close it but it is my oldest card.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice would be to keep it open and apply for a new card or pick a favorite card and only use that one. I had 3 secured cards and I lost my debit card so I only used the discover.
Discover graduated me from $200 to $1800 in 6 easy months. Citi says 18 months and Wells Fargo says when they please.

Don’t close it just stop using it maybe $2 a month.
Message 6 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive had my Capital One secured card since June of 2014. I opened a regular C1 Platinum Mastercard in September of 2016.

Both cards have always been paid on time. When in the world will they graduate the secured card to an unsecured card?! Stuck at a $601 limit for years now lol so frustrating! Any insight?!?!

Cap1 started graduating cards opened either in late 2016 or early 2017. 

Cards opened prior to those dates did not graduate, and sadly, it seems they've stopped graduating secured cards again.

I doubt card opened in 2014 will ever graduate.  

You did not elaborate on other cards you may have, but in general, Cap1 starter cards are lost cause. Some may experience  growth, but those are not the ones that started as secured.  

If there are no fees, it does not hurt to keep it open, unless you dont want to bother with SD card.  Closing it would depend on which other options you have. 

If I were you, I'd start looking elsewhere. 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called them and “it is not eligible to be unsecured at this time but capitalone is always evaluating eligibility” I asked what the criteria was for eligibility and big surprise they don’t know lol. I said ok I guess it’ll just continue to sit in my sock drawer like it has for the last year. Oh well.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey. I’m kinda in the same boat as far as being displeased with Capital One. I’ve had my card for seven months now. When I got the card I was told that my deposit would be returned and my credit limit increased at six months. Neither happened. Do you remember if they did either of these things? Or when they did them?

On a happier note, it’s raised my credit score so much. I only had if for about three months before I got a better card. I’m at 698 today but as soon as I see a 700 I’ll start getting cards I really want.
Message 9 of 18
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Yeah my $49 = $200 Secured Cap1 has been opened for 5 months and just received the $300.00 CLI to = $500.00.

It's cool with me, I'll just let it sit at $500.00 as long as they want it to.  It's servicing it's purpose with my Fico's so I'm good with it, unless something changes It will probably sit in that $500.00 bucket for years.

I also have the unsecured Cap1 Platinum at $300.00 and have had it for about 9 months if it hits an unsolicited CLI, cool. If not... cool.

When my fico's are up I'll apply for a whole other Cap1 product as mentioned and suggested above, I also agree on 'not closing' the card - use it whenever you remember to do so.

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.