Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One auto pay frustrations

tag
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Capital One auto pay frustrations

I have auto pay set up on all of my cards for the minimum payment.  I always PIF, but am really annoyed with Capital One's auto pay system.  On my VX I've only had one statement cut thus far.  This was PIF 2 days after it cut, and while my next statement won't cut till Thursday, because I have a balance right now it still took out the $25 mininum payment from my checking via auto pay.  I only have auto pay turned on as a backup if for some reason I forgot to manually make a payment, I don't want it making a payment if I've already paid (and IMO nor should it, esp if the statement was PIF) Previously Capital One allowed you to skip the auto pay for that month if you already made a payment (just had to click manage auto pay).  That option was no longer there and thus the additional paymen.  In the big picture it's a small nusiance, but one that really pisssed me off. 

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
Oct 2024 FICO 8:
Oct 2024 FICO 9:
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One auto pay frustrations

When I go in to make my payment manually, I just cancel the pending Auto-Pay.

FICO EX 829 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/24
American Express Blue Cash Everyday 20K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 20K I American Express Cash Magnet 5K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 5K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One QS MC 11K I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa 25K I NFCU Amex 20K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 11.5K I Bread Financial American Express 10.5K I AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 8.5K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite MC 8.3K I JCPenney Mastercard 6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I PayPal Cash Back Visa 9K I
Message 2 of 7
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

When I go in to make my payment manually, I just cancel the pending Auto-Pay.

That option wasn't available to me on the VX, even though I have done it previously on my SavorOne and QS.  It was either cancel the whole auto pay series or let it make the $25 min even though I paid the $1794 balance in full, well before the due date.  Interestingly, the VX does allow me to change my auto pay date and the other 2 Cap One cards do not (on due date only).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
Oct 2024 FICO 8:
Oct 2024 FICO 9:
Message 3 of 7
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Each bank has their own idea of how auto-pay is supposed to work. The good thing is that at least it is only making payments that you eventually owe.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC(Pending PC), Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense WMC, Curve WEMC(Suspended), Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, GBank VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Santander Ultimate Cash Back WMC, Synchrony PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], Upgrade Cash Rewards Elite VSC, US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, PCMCU Platinum Rewards, Redstone FCU Signature, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 7
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

Each bank has their own idea of how auto-pay is supposed to work. The good thing is that at least it is only making payments that you eventually owe.

Yeah,  I just wish Capital One worked the way it has previously.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
Oct 2024 FICO 8:
Oct 2024 FICO 9:
Message 5 of 7
delaney1
Established Contributor

That's so odd that's happening with the VX. I have no problem canceling the auto pay each month when I PIF on my Savor and QS. 

Message 6 of 7
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@delaney1 wrote:

That's so odd that's happening with the VX. I have no problem canceling the auto pay each month when I PIF on my Savor and QS. 

Both VX and S1 statements close within a week and I'm going to report a balance on both so I'll have two opportunities to see if it works as I'll pay the statement balance on both shortly after each cuts.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
Oct 2024 FICO 8:
Oct 2024 FICO 9:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.