Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom

tag
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom

Hi, I have to purchase a pair of new RX glasses, and plan on ordering these at Costco’s Optical.  This quarter, Costco is included in the rewards cash back—does their Optical dept fall into this category, or is it only the merchandise retail portion?  I hope this makes sense.  I forgot to mention, I’ll be using the Chase Freedom card.  

Thank You!

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom

I'm afraid that I don't know the specifics for Costco, but I will say that other eyeglass places have coded differently from the store that they were in.  They are typically leasing a spot inside the building and are seperate entities from the main store.  As an example, when you get a Subway sandwich at a store that is inside of a Walmart, it should code as fast food and not as retail.  The eye doctor at Lenscrafters even coded differently from the main Lenscrafters store when I charged my eye exam, and then charged my glasses.

I don't have a Costco near me, but when I googled for Costco eye glasses, it said something about visiting the independant eye doctor located at Costco, which leads me to believe that the relationship between the doctor and Costco is simply a lease of space in their building.  

Message 2 of 14
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

I'm afraid that I don't know the specifics for Costco, but I will say that other eyeglass places have coded differently from the store that they were in.  They are typically leasing a spot inside the building and are seperate entities from the main store.  As an example, when you get a Subway sandwich at a store that is inside of a Walmart, it should code as fast food and not as retail.  The eye doctor at Lenscrafters even coded differently from the main Lenscrafters store when I charged my eye exam, and then charged my glasses.

I don't have a Costco near me, but when I googled for Costco eye glasses, it said something about visiting the independant eye doctor located at Costco, which leads me to believe that the relationship between the doctor and Costco is simply a lease of space in their building.  

Thank you, dlister, that was what I was afraid of.  I’ll pay cash then, and use the card for other merchandise at Costco.  

Message 3 of 14
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@CAS2019 wrote:

@dlister70 wrote:

Thank you, dlister, that was what I was afraid of.  I’ll pay cash then, and use the card for other merchandise at Costco.  

Why would you pay cash? You could still use the Freedom and see what happens. Worst case, you'll get 1% back. If you pay in cash, you'll get nothing back. 

I also don't see why this purchase wouldn't qualify for 5%. You're purchasing from Costco, and that department is owned by them. 

Message 4 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@CAS2019 wrote:

Hi, I have to purchase a pair of new RX glasses, and plan on ordering these at Costco’s Optical.  This quarter, Costco is included in the rewards cash back—does their Optical dept fall into this category, or is it only the merchandise retail portion?  I hope this makes sense.  I forgot to mention, I’ll be using the Chase Freedom card.  

Thank You!

Glasses would usually run under the MCc of Opticians optical goods and glasses, or similar wording. Exams are under Vision care, or medical services.

I would expect it not to fall under the Freedom category.

Message 5 of 14
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@CAS2019 wrote:

@dlister70 wrote:

Why would you pay cash? You could still use the Freedom and see what happens. Worst case, you'll get 1% back. If you pay in cash, you'll get nothing back. 

I also don't see why this purchase wouldn't qualify for 5%. You're purchasing from Costco, and that department is owned by them. 

Oh, you know, I didn’t think of that (worst case scenario).  I was so focused on the Costco thing, I didn’t see the forest from the trees!  You changed my mind!

Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I would definitely at least try the Freedom.

I know it's 'apples and oranges', but for what it's worth my optical exam at Sam's Club does code as a 'regular' Sam's purchase (they actually use a Sam's Club register to ring up the fee). 

This might vary from location to location, though; since the providers are independent I'm sure they likely get some 'say'.

Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Can she use the chase pay/samsung pay combo and get 5% back?
Message 8 of 14
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

Actually, I went to Costco Optical today to order, and the woman I spoke with told me it is Costco and only the Optometrist isn’t.  The alert I received from Chase, shows The Costco charge.  However, the proof will be when I can see the points. 

Message 9 of 14
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@CAS2019 wrote:

Actually, I went to Costco Optical today to order, and the woman I spoke with told me it is Costco and only the Optometrist isn’t.  The alert I received from Chase, shows The Costco charge.  However, the proof will be when I can see the points. 

Great news!  As mentioned, worst case scenario, you only get 1% back.. but I hope you find that 5% on the statement!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.