Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase PC - Restriction

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Chase PC - Restriction

Hey guys, so I got the Reserve back in 2016, and through out the years I PC it so many times I think in 2017, I did it once and then 2018 I know I did it twice from what the rep told me but I could tell that he's knowledgeable cause he said this Chase wants you to be satisfied for at least a year before PC it, which makes sense and he even gave me the dates where I did it while other reps don't. He said I won't be eligible to even PC it, and therefore I would have to close the account and apply for another card. I hope that's not the case, but he said or I could wait until Dec 20 and see what I could do. I'm getting scared cause I don't want it to be like Amex charge cards where there's no downgrade path to a no annual fee card and I don't want to close out the account since I already have about 3 years with Chase. I just hope I'm not blocked from PC... Has anybody experience this before? But honestly, after all the points and traveling is said it done, it's just a regular 1.5% CB card, I might have to go for CB cards in the long run. Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase PC - Restriction

HUCA.  You should be able to downgrade it to Sapphire Preferred or regular no-fee Sapphire for sure, and likely Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.  I'm not sure how you came up with the 1.5%, though.  If you're using it solely for cash back, it's either 1% or 3% (travel and restaurant).

Message 2 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

HUCA.  You should be able to downgrade it to Sapphire Preferred or regular no-fee Sapphire for sure, and likely Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.  I'm not sure how you came up with the 1.5%, though.  If you're using it solely for cash back, it's either 1% or 3% (travel and restaurant).

I think OP is saying that even if successful with a PC from CSR to CFU, CFU isn't a good long-term option for someone who wants cash back (with no requirement to travel).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Technically an issuer doesn't have to let you convert a product. You applied for a certain product and they are not required to let you switch it. In practice, most people have success switching among the Freedom/Sapphire family with Chase, but normally the account does have to be 12 months old.

And yes, if you aren't redeeming for travel (and getting extra value out of the points), the FU is just a 1.5% card, nothing special.

Message 4 of 28
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious were you doing this to avoid the AFs?  I know if you downgrade say from CSR to CS or whatever and keep it for awhile then reupgrade it you avoid the AF for 3-6 months and get the travel credits, etc again.  Were you doing anything like that and they might of put a restriction on it for those reasons?  I had the CSP for awhile then upgraded to CSR paid the AF then had an af coming and downgraded to a CSP then CS, but then re-upped it to CSR and avoided AF for about 5-6 months and got travel credits right off and used them, but decided it was in my best interest to pay the AF for the CSR and did and is where i am today.  Wondering if your scenario is trying to avoid it and they caught on and restricted your account from PC's for awhile?  

Message 5 of 28
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Well I paid the AF already but want avoid paying the next time but I think my thing was I wasn't aware of the benefits and stuff so I switched it multiple times throughout the years. There's was this time where I upgrade from FU to Preferred and then a couple of days later I changed my mind and upgrade to the Reserve.
Message 6 of 28
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I've product switch before but I didn't think I would have to wait a full year again, just like when I upgrade from FU to the preferred and a couple of days later I changed my mind and upgrade to the Reserve. But, now they said I'm not eligible to PC it and have to apply. Should I wait until Dec to see if I could PC?
Message 7 of 28
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I've product switch before but I didn't think I would have to wait a full year again, just like when I upgrade from FU to the preferred and a couple of days later I changed my mind and upgrade to the Reserve. But, now they said I'm not eligible to PC it and have to apply. Should I wait until Dec to see if I could PC?

really dont have any choice other than seeing if you get a different agent to see if they say the same thing or wait until Dec to see if it can be done then or if you are under 5/24 you can consider adding a new account if needed as well so really need to figure out what option is best for you.  Ya sounds like the AF they might be getting wise to even though it wasnt necessarily intentional by you that causes shift in policy such as others abusing it.

Message 8 of 28
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I wonder if there's a way to "upgrade" so to speak from the Reserve to the FU, as I gotten a mail for the Freedom to the FU? But, also I wanted to see would it be the same if I did a SM to downgrade from the Reserve to the FU?
Message 9 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I suggest:

1. See if you can PC to a 5x/5% Freedom.
2. Relax, stop PCing, and don't apply for a Chase card again until you can get a nice fat bonus.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.