cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Amazon 5% cards

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

Its like a 5% Amazon card combined with a 5% rotator card all in-one.

 

It sounds like a better pick up than ABOC's Platinum Rewards 5% rotator with its 1,500 dollar quarterly limit.

Official travel point totals as of 6/20/20 (Goal Free Travel)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 174,345
AA Advantage 15,331
United MileagePlus 13,256
British Airways Avios 11,332
Expedia Points 2,763
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Southwest Rapid Rewards 1,000
Hilton Honors 481
AMEX Membership Rewards 310
Delta Sky Miles 123
World of Hyatt 4
Marriot Bonvoy 0
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)

Official cashback as of 6/20/20 (Goal Fund Roth IRA)
Acorns 584.73
Retail Me Not 85.12
Top Cashback 39.08
DOSH App 35.72
PEI App 27.69
Raise Cash 27.49
Club Overstock 23.87
Mr. Rebates 14.65
NFCU Rewards 2.96
Discover 2.67

Other Point Category
Freebird 3,500
Samsung Rewards 2,796
Open Table 1,500
Message 21 of 34
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

Looks like they actually say in the terms that gift cards don't earn cash back. 

EARNING CASH BACK
Cardholders will earn 5% cash back (which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent) for purchases made at Bookstores, which also include purchases made at Amazon.com on up to $3,500 per month in purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Cardholders will earn 2% cash back (which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent) for all purchases made on Supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards. 

 

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-book...

Message 22 of 34
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards


@Saeren wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Oh boy, I sense another CU being flooded in the near future Smiley Very Happy

 

There are many options for 5% Amazon but I guess it's another decent one. The 2/1% categories don't mean much but the 5% and the SUB are decent.


I don't think this one will put up with the flood. There have already been a number of people denied membership for being out of area, even with the donation. @Juanefny actually had to get into it with them. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Affinity-FCU-application/m-p/6019822/highligh...

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-book...


Yup.. it was like pulling teeth. It seems like they will deny people membership... just b/c.. if you don't live in their geographic area - even when you otherwise qualify for membership. I have also found their customer service to be somewhat inconsistent and lacking so far... we'll see what happens once I get the card in the mail and start using it.

Message 23 of 34
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

Well, I went ahead and applied at Affinity FCU.  According to the confirmation page, it looks like I was approved.  However, when I sign in to my Affinity online account page it only shows the "Membership Eligibility" account with a zero balance, which I'm guessing is the token checking account they open for card applicants.  I did pay $10 during the app process.

 

What should I expect after this?

Message 24 of 34
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

I have the Sync Amazon Prime Card (I'm at LOLROTFLMAO/24 so no Chase for me). It's fine as a store card, it also works at Amazon Go (Amazon's new convenience store/grocery that is no cash register, you just scan and walk out with what you buy- the grocery store is VERY new).

 

 It's fine for what it is and I don't have to blow a 5/24 slot on it like I would for the Chase card, or lie about having a business to get the AMEX card.

Fidelity Rewards 11.5k
Capital One VentureOne 11k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Petal VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Capital One QS 3.5k
AMEX Hilton Aspire 3.1k
Amazon/Synchrony 3k
Cathay Pacific/Synchrony 2.5k
AMEX Hilton 1k
Target 800
Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 25 of 34
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards


@Saeren wrote:

Looks like they actually say in the terms that gift cards don't earn cash back. 

EARNING CASH BACK
Cardholders will earn 5% cash back (which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent) for purchases made at Bookstores, which also include purchases made at Amazon.com on up to $3,500 per month in purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Cardholders will earn 2% cash back (which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent) for all purchases made on Supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards. 

 

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-book...


The use of the word "points" is always concerning because points are not always worth 1 cent. For example with the ABOC card if you want statement credit it's only 75% value so the enticing sounding 5% becomes a less exciting 3.75%. Don't know if this is how Affinity is or not though.

Message 26 of 34
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards


@kdm31091 wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

Looks like they actually say in the terms that gift cards don't earn cash back. 

EARNING CASH BACK
Cardholders will earn 5% cash back (which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent) for purchases made at Bookstores, which also include purchases made at Amazon.com on up to $3,500 per month in purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Cardholders will earn 2% cash back (which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent) for all purchases made on Supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards. 

 

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-book...


The use of the word "points" is always concerning because points are not always worth 1 cent. For example with the ABOC card if you want statement credit it's only 75% value so the enticing sounding 5% becomes a less exciting 3.75%. Don't know if this is how Affinity is or not though.


They way I read it is they're just trying to clarify point equivalency for people used to points. Everything I've ever seen advertising the card says % as have any posts and reviews. 

It's unclear if the rotating categories are here to stay though. They started that in January. 

Message 27 of 34
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards


@notmyrealname23 wrote:

I have the Sync Amazon Prime Card (I'm at LOLROTFLMAO/24 so no Chase for me). It's fine as a store card, it also works at Amazon Go (Amazon's new convenience store/grocery that is no cash register, you just scan and walk out with what you buy- the grocery store is VERY new).

 

 It's fine for what it is and I don't have to blow a 5/24 slot on it like I would for the Chase card, or lie about having a business to get the AMEX card.


I think it does count toward 5/24. However, I agree that it's fine if your goal is mainly 5% at Amazon and you have other cards that cover the other rewards offered by the Chase version.

 

What's the deal with getting the business card if you don't have a business? Do they not care, or are they just lax about verifying anything? I actually do have a formerly active LLC that still exists, but it's been inactive (no revenue or expenses) for the past several years.


No derogs, but tons of inquiries and heavy credit-seeking behavior. In March of 2019, I had no open accounts, a charge-off, two collections, and scores in the low 500s. What I call the "thick build method" worked for me, but may not work for every situation.
Cards

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loan / Personal loan

Card CLs total $85,100, not counting the AU card. The AU card brings the total to $110,100. In March 2019, card CLs totaled $0.

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 04/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Self Lender secured $500 loan, 04/19-01/20 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 06/19-08/19.
Message 28 of 34
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

I think I mean "not only does it count against 5/24 but you actually have to be UNDER 5/24 to get it" for the Chase AMZN card. If I am going to do all kinds of contortions to get Chase cards, blowing a slot on a card I can get 80%+ of the value on elsewhere outside the Chase universe doesn't seem very useful. It's the ones like Hyatt, Southwest, IHG,  Marriott or Sapphire that I'd want, that you CAN'T replicate easily.

 

Also, I just don't want to do the "yeah, sure I have a (totally fake) sole proprietor business (selling gift cards on eBay that I will buy with MS on this credit card, or writing a blog with six readers)" shtick just to get a credit card. There's enough personal credit cards out there for what I want to do. If I get a business card I plan on having a legit business and using it for what you should use them for (making it easy to keep business and personal spend separated plus having lines of credit available for use for your business to help manage cash flow).

Fidelity Rewards 11.5k
Capital One VentureOne 11k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Petal VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Capital One QS 3.5k
AMEX Hilton Aspire 3.1k
Amazon/Synchrony 3k
Cathay Pacific/Synchrony 2.5k
AMEX Hilton 1k
Target 800
Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 29 of 34
Frequent Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

I'm planning to app for Amazon and if I had to rank the options this is how I'd do it.

 

1) Affinity FCU. You wouldn't need to carry Amazon Prime membership for the annualized 7.5% discount counting it as a rotator category. The starting limits on this one appear generous 20k range. A 5-7% rotator outside of the store. A $200 SUB for 3k spend which I think is a high requirement.

 

2) Chase Amazon Prime. Decent opening bonus of $70 dollars. Also can be used at Whole Foods at 5%. Also its possible to move your limit from other Chase cards over to Prime Rewards if you want at some point. Ability to finance purchases on Amazon.

 

3) Amazon Store Card. Small opening bouns of $10. Normally some very small starting limits but it depends on different profiles. 

Official travel point totals as of 6/20/20 (Goal Free Travel)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 174,345
AA Advantage 15,331
United MileagePlus 13,256
British Airways Avios 11,332
Expedia Points 2,763
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Southwest Rapid Rewards 1,000
Hilton Honors 481
AMEX Membership Rewards 310
Delta Sky Miles 123
World of Hyatt 4
Marriot Bonvoy 0
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)

Official cashback as of 6/20/20 (Goal Fund Roth IRA)
Acorns 584.73
Retail Me Not 85.12
Top Cashback 39.08
DOSH App 35.72
PEI App 27.69
Raise Cash 27.49
Club Overstock 23.87
Mr. Rebates 14.65
NFCU Rewards 2.96
Discover 2.67

Other Point Category
Freebird 3,500
Samsung Rewards 2,796
Open Table 1,500
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.