Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Amazon 5% cards

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Comparing Amazon 5% cards

Its like a 5% Amazon card combined with a 5% rotator card all in-one.

It sounds like a better pick up than ABOC's Platinum Rewards 5% rotator with its 1,500 dollar quarterly limit.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like they actually say in the terms that gift cards don't earn cash back. 

EARNING CASH BACK
Cardholders will earn 5% cash back (which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent) for purchases made at Bookstores, which also include purchases made at Amazon.com on up to $3,500 per month in purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Cardholders will earn 2% cash back (which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent) for all purchases made on Supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-book...

Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Oh boy, I sense another CU being flooded in the near future Smiley Very Happy

There are many options for 5% Amazon but I guess it's another decent one. The 2/1% categories don't mean much but the 5% and the SUB are decent.

I don't think this one will put up with the flood. There have already been a number of people denied membership for being out of area, even with the donation. @Anonymous actually had to get into it with them. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Affinity-FCU-application/m-p/6019822/highlight/true#M679677

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/

Yup.. it was like pulling teeth. It seems like they will deny people membership... just b/c.. if you don't live in their geographic area - even when you otherwise qualify for membership. I have also found their customer service to be somewhat inconsistent and lacking so far... we'll see what happens once I get the card in the mail and start using it.

Message 23 of 34
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Well, I went ahead and applied at Affinity FCU.  According to the confirmation page, it looks like I was approved.  However, when I sign in to my Affinity online account page it only shows the "Membership Eligibility" account with a zero balance, which I'm guessing is the token checking account they open for card applicants.  I did pay $10 during the app process.

What should I expect after this?

Message 24 of 34
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

I have the Sync Amazon Prime Card (I'm at LOLROTFLMAO/24 so no Chase for me). It's fine as a store card, it also works at Amazon Go (Amazon's new convenience store/grocery that is no cash register, you just scan and walk out with what you buy- the grocery store is VERY new).

It's fine for what it is and I don't have to blow a 5/24 slot on it like I would for the Chase card, or lie about having a business to get the AMEX card.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 25 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EARNING CASH BACK
Cardholders will earn 5% cash back (which is equivalent to 5 points for every $1 spent) for purchases made at Bookstores, which also include purchases made at Amazon.com on up to $3,500 per month in purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Cardholders will earn 2% cash back (which is equivalent to 2 points for every $1 spent) for all purchases made on Supermarket purchases, excluding gift cards. 

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/#comment-957455

The use of the word "points" is always concerning because points are not always worth 1 cent. For example with the ABOC card if you want statement credit it's only 75% value so the enticing sounding 5% becomes a less exciting 3.75%. Don't know if this is how Affinity is or not though.

Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

EARNING CASH BACK

Taken from this comment on DoC: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ia-only-affinity-federal-credit-union-credit-card-200-bonus-5-on-bookstores-including-amazon/#comment-957455

The use of the word "points" is always concerning because points are not always worth 1 cent. For example with the ABOC card if you want statement credit it's only 75% value so the enticing sounding 5% becomes a less exciting 3.75%. Don't know if this is how Affinity is or not though.

They way I read it is they're just trying to clarify point equivalency for people used to points. Everything I've ever seen advertising the card says % as have any posts and reviews. 

It's unclear if the rotating categories are here to stay though. They started that in January. 

Message 27 of 34
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

I have the Sync Amazon Prime Card (I'm at LOLROTFLMAO/24 so no Chase for me). It's fine as a store card, it also works at Amazon Go (Amazon's new convenience store/grocery that is no cash register, you just scan and walk out with what you buy- the grocery store is VERY new).

It's fine for what it is and I don't have to blow a 5/24 slot on it like I would for the Chase card, or lie about having a business to get the AMEX card.

I think it does count toward 5/24. However, I agree that it's fine if your goal is mainly 5% at Amazon and you have other cards that cover the other rewards offered by the Chase version.

What's the deal with getting the business card if you don't have a business? Do they not care, or are they just lax about verifying anything? I actually do have a formerly active LLC that still exists, but it's been inactive (no revenue or expenses) for the past several years.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 28 of 34
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

I think I mean "not only does it count against 5/24 but you actually have to be UNDER 5/24 to get it" for the Chase AMZN card. If I am going to do all kinds of contortions to get Chase cards, blowing a slot on a card I can get 80%+ of the value on elsewhere outside the Chase universe doesn't seem very useful. It's the ones like Hyatt, Southwest, IHG,  Marriott or Sapphire that I'd want, that you CAN'T replicate easily.

Also, I just don't want to do the "yeah, sure I have a (totally fake) sole proprietor business (selling gift cards on eBay that I will buy with MS on this credit card, or writing a blog with six readers)" shtick just to get a credit card. There's enough personal credit cards out there for what I want to do. If I get a business card I plan on having a legit business and using it for what you should use them for (making it easy to keep business and personal spend separated plus having lines of credit available for use for your business to help manage cash flow).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 29 of 34
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I'm planning to app for Amazon and if I had to rank the options this is how I'd do it.

1) Affinity FCU. You wouldn't need to carry Amazon Prime membership for the annualized 7.5% discount counting it as a rotator category. The starting limits on this one appear generous 20k range. A 5-7% rotator outside of the store. A $200 SUB for 3k spend which I think is a high requirement.

2) Chase Amazon Prime. Decent opening bonus of $70 dollars. Also can be used at Whole Foods at 5%. Also its possible to move your limit from other Chase cards over to Prime Rewards if you want at some point. Ability to finance purchases on Amazon.

3) Amazon Store Card. Small opening bouns of $10. Normally some very small starting limits but it depends on different profiles. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.