Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant problems with Citi online logging on

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Constant problems with Citi online logging on

For the last 6 or 8 months, the biggest headache with any credit card is signing on with CitiBank. I/we have 2 branded Citi cards, a Costco Visa and Citi-backed Wawa and Home Depot (actually 2 HD cards mine and the DW's). Every single time we try to log on to Citi to pay a card our "information" is incorrect either the username or the PW and this happens for all of these cards and every month we get logged out and have to call to get the account reset, every month we get a new username and a new password, but it doesn't matter because next month it'll be the same song and dance. 

Tonight we changed ALL of our Citi Cards back to paper statements and frankly, I/we are probably going to close all of the cards other than one HD card. 

I have not seen any threads on these forums about folks having an issue signing on with Citi, so I guess its just me.  I'm thinking that when at some point "advanced security measures" gets to the point that getting access to my accounts is such a pain that I stop using that account and close the cards, "security" may have just gone too far. 

Note that between the DW and me, we have probably 40 online accounts (checking accounts, credit cards, tax accounts, retirement accounts, investment accounts, etc) - Citi is the only one we have issues with.    

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: Constant problems with Citi online logging on

Online account wise, I have no issues.  What I do have however, is the last 1-2 weeks the mobile app will not sign on.  It gets stuck at the 'Enable snapshot' screen if it even gets to that point.  

Message 2 of 12
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Been having a similar problem. No matter how many times I change my password and subsequently enter said exact password, it says it's incorrect and locks my account after multiple tries. The only way I can get into my account without resetting my password every time is by using my fingerprint on my phone. Funny thing is, I didn't think too much of the issue until I read your post. Now I'm kinda mad, lol.

Message 3 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Same here! I've just about given up on them ever getting it right. I've almost stopped using the cards at all. Good thing both are on auto pay. Lol
Preparing to cut one in week or so.
Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, do you have the same issue regardless of what browser you use? How about on mobile via the Citi app?

Have you had any checking/savings accounts closed with Citi or do you strictly have the CCs?

Do you clear cache/cookies frequently?
Message 5 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
OP, do you have the same issue regardless of what browser you use? How about on mobile via the Citi app?

Have you had any checking/savings accounts closed with Citi or do you strictly have the CCs?

Do you clear cache/cookies frequently?

I use Chrome (default) and IE11 but do not use the Citi mobile app. Same issue with both.

I/we only have CC's with Citi and have never had any AA or missed payments on any Citi account of any type.

I do not "frequently" clear cookies/cache and frankly, if I have to jump through multiple hoops just to access Citi cards over and over again, I'd just as soon close those accounts.

My wife and I have worked to establish and maintain strong scores and a perfect payment history over the last 10+/- years and my fear is that we'll miss a Citi payment because it's impossible to just go online and make the payment. We have requested that all our accounts be converted to paper statements and starting this month we'll go back paying by check. I expect we'll keep the Costco Visa and a single HD card (we have 2), but close Wawa (6k), one HD (25k), the TYP (8k), and the Simplicity (15.8k). This has been going on for close to a year, it's a royal PITA. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy

You definitely are not alone.  I love my Citi cards but the online experience that I have had (as well as my g/f) has been horrendous with them.  Quite frequently I have issues logging in or performing other functions on the website.  I have spent more time on the phone with their CSRs and tech support personnel than I can remember.  I have lots of accounts with various creditors and the rest of them combined have not given me the amount of headaches that Citi has when dealing with their website.

Message 7 of 12
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Count me in as one who has many sign-on issues with Citi.  Resetting my password has become an annoying task that I've come to live with.  Thankfully I don't have their cards in my current rotation so that has helped to minimize the frustration. 

I'm Mac all the way and I've had the issue on my iMac, MacPro, and MacBook Air.  I've used Safari, Chrome, and FireFox...same issue and seems to be isolated to Citi only.  Ugh!

Message 8 of 12
wineman
Established Member

Hi. I had the same problem with logging in to Citi. I want to share my experience in case a similar bug might be causing your issue.

In my case, it was because Citi truncates the username when you type it in. For example, “username,” is displayed as “user****”.  I had allowed my browser (Safari) to store and fill login info, and it stored the truncated version with the asterisks and that was causing my login to fail. Now I simply remember to fill the info from my password manager (1Password) which stores the true username and it works fine every time. 

I hope this helps.

Message 9 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I'm glad to hear it's not just us (DW is not as technically "expert" as far as computer things, but certainly not incompetent). I understand all the major data breaches and online "security", but Citi HAS to know that their system is buggy if customers are constantly calling to regain access to their online accounts. I know we are calling every month and from the sounds of the replies to this thread, my experience is not unique.

Fortunately, we (DW and me) have a lot of accounts from a widely diverse set of lenders including all most all the majors (AmEx, Chase, BoA, NFCU, Fidelity, etc etc etc) so we have the option of selecting who we want to do business with (a major advantage of maintaining a strong credit profile). Citi is not one of our favorites as far as lenders, but they are a major player in the credit card game, including their "store backed" options (Wawa,  Home Depot, etc etc) and those we tend to use a bunch.

Thank you all for commenting on this thread, I think at this point we are going to go ahead and close everything except the Costco Visa and one HD card, the rest just are not worth the possibility of missing a payment date and damaging our scores due to the shortcomings of Citi's  online issues and I really don't feel like going back to mailing in paper checks. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.