Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Bank Switch

tag
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card Bank Switch

I've had an Old Navy card forever and some of you may know that they are switching from Synch to Barclay's next month. Does anyone have experience with this from a credit file impact perspective? My hope is that I don't get a "new account" that will drag down my aging metrics and hit me with a new account.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Bank Switch

This just happened to me with Barclays and Comenity and the account was simply renamed/updated.  No new account.

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 2 of 6
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Barclays to Comenity was smooth for NFL CC. But Sync to Cap1 for Walmart resulted in a new trade line! So good luck on Sync to Barclays!

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TheKid2 wrote:

I've had an Old Navy card forever and some of you may know that they are switching from Synch to Barclay's next month. Does anyone have experience with this from a credit file impact perspective? My hope is that I don't get a "new account" that will drag down my aging metrics and hit me with a new account.

It varies, but sometimes it does show up as a new account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 6
betax
New Contributor

Thekid2,

The welcome faq does mention this. Accounts will move to Barclays and keep the same open date, limit ect. Name and account number changes. This should have no effect. I remember the synch and cap1 bank change, It showed the the old trade line closed but th new one listed had same open date ect just an update bank and card number change.

Message 5 of 6
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@TheKid2 wrote:

It varies, but sometimes it does show up as a new account.

Indeed it does--even for the same person at exactly the same time, with the same company!

When Cap1 acquired my WM MC from Synchrony, its 'opened' date remained the same as the original, but when my JCPenney MC went from Synchrony to Synchrony (that's not a typo), its 'opened' date was changed to the new date. Due to this, I lost 5-1/2 years of history with that account, but the WM was unaffected.

They show the exact same date for account closure, but one says [something like] 'purchased by new bank' while the other says [something like] 'transferred to another department'--the latter is the JCPMC. You'd think a transfer within the same company would be the one that DOESN'T create a new 'opened' date....but, no!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.