Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex plat question

tag
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

amex plat question

like some people, i don't travel a lot, but the signup offer for this card is quite hefty. should i apply for it, met the spend and stockpile the points for when i do need to travel? And then hope amex gives me retention credits the subsequent years? 

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: amex plat question

Not a good idea you just stated you don't have any travel plans hate to tell you this miles do depreciate. Also, Amex will give retention bonuses usually to those who put healthy spend on the card. Forgo the card and get it when you actually have a need for the card

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 11
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

@Hoben02 wrote:

Not a good idea you just stated you don't have any travel plans hate to tell you this miles do depreciate. Also, Amex will give retention bonuses usually to those who put healthy spend on the card. Forgo the card and get it when you actually have a need for the card

I didn't know MR points depreciate. thanks for making me aware!

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@acreditdummy123 wrote:

@Hoben02 wrote:

A lot of factors affect the value of airline miles. If there's one airline you mainly use, look into the details of that particular frequent flyer program.

Retention offers are YMMV. I very recently got a 30k MR / $3k spend / 3 months retention offer on my Schwab Platinum despite YTD spend of just a few hundred dollars - and most of that on coupon stuff. In 2020 I got 50k MRs with no spend.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
DONZI
Established Contributor

@acreditdummy123 wrote:

@Hoben02 wrote:

@acreditdummy123-- note that miles are not MR points.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 5 of 11
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

Good evening,

Can you clarify what you mean when you said "miles do depreciate"?

Thanks!!

Message 6 of 11
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@bilwilvegas wrote:

Good evening,

Thanks!!

Probably what was meant is that miles you earn can become "devalued" by the airline.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@acreditdummy123 wrote:

like some people, i don't travel a lot, but the signup offer for this card is quite hefty. should i apply for it, met the spend and stockpile the points for when i do need to travel? And then hope amex gives me retention credits the subsequent years? 

IMHO no, that card is a waste of money unless you travel a lot.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@bilwilvegas wrote:

Good evening,

Thanks!!

Probably what was meant is that miles you earn can become "devalued" by the airline.

I agree.   In general, while 1 MR (or UR or TYP etc) will continue to be transferable to X miles in a particular airline program, over time the value of those X miles decreases as airline "enhance" their reward program.   What used to take say 100K miles now takes 120K or move to dynamic pricing which leads to a variable figure (but almost certainly greater than 100K!)

Changes aren't always uniform, so there might be a few spots where things improve, but they are more the exception.

In addition, it's possible for the issuer to change the transfer ratio so you get less airline miles anyway, or drop a partner that you want to use.  In the prepandemic world, a lot of users preached "earn and burn", i.e. use the points as soon as you have enough for a worthwhile redemption, because of the expected loss of value.

Message 9 of 11
kierkegaard

I've also been interested in getting an AmEx Plat (I take 2 international and 4-6ish domestic trips a year) and another member shared a useful link in a separate thread I was inquiring on: https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/credit-card-annual-fee-break-even-spending-guide/

If you can break even, sure; if you're unsure, you could potentially be spending money to spend money. Like others said, the value of these points "in escrow" isn't comparable from now to then and often isn't from one month to the next. If the credits included as cardholder benefits are useful for your consumer profile and you can take enough trips (and like who AmEx partners with for rewards points) to offset the cost, go for it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.