cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Rotation

mcalpinedm06

Credit Card Rotation

I balance transfered the debt I have and am doing pretty well paying it off. My issue is, I don't want my other credit cards to close in the mean time. I have about 10 cards and have not used them I'm about 1 or 2 months.

Will small balances and pay offs suffice?

What's the shortest time a card can be closed due to inactivity?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Rotation

@mcalpinedm06 wrote:

I balance transfered the debt I have and am doing pretty well paying it off. My issue is, I don't want my other credit cards to close in the mean time. I have about 10 cards and have not used them I'm about 1 or 2 months.

Will small balances and pay offs suffice?

What's the shortest time a card can be closed due to inactivity?

Your biggest risk may be if you transferred those debts onto one or two limits and are running high utilization.  That may spook other lenders, especially if you don't show the balances decreasing fairly quickly. 

Definitely continue to use the other cards and pay them off, which may reassure those lenders that you're on top of your debt.

The shortest time?  There isn't such a thing.  Lenders can close a card at any time.  On average, I think the most conservative guidance is to use a card at least every 3-6 months to avoid closure for non-use.  Some of our members put at least one charge on every account every month, and that's probably the safest way to approach minimum usage concerns.

Length of Credit > 35 years; Total Credit Limits > $500K
AoOA > 27 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2020); Gardening since 08/15/20.
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 3
mcalpinedm06

Re: Credit Card Rotation

Thank you.  I have a 6,000 card with a 4,000 balance. I'm paying 1,000 a month. Total credit avaliable is 24,000. Thank you for advice, I'll be looking out.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.