Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Closure

tag
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Credit One Closure

After successfully securing a NFCU Platinum and Discover Chrome yesterday, I started the process of shutting down the predatory cards in my wallet. First on the chopping block was Credit One, as its annual fee is coming up at the end of the month. They transferred me to 3 different CS reps, each trying to talk me in to keeping the line open....seriously? Finally, it’s was closed out...Next on the chopping block, First Premier.
Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit One Closure

Good for you!! And congrats on your NFCU & Disco approvals Smiley Wink 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Wise. Just get them GONE lol. Congrats!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Peazmom wrote:
After successfully securing a NFCU Platinum and Discover Chrome yesterday, I started the process of shutting down the predatory cards in my wallet. First on the chopping block was Credit One, as its annual fee is coming up at the end of the month. They transferred me to 3 different CS reps, each trying to talk me in to keeping the line open....seriously? Finally, it’s was closed out...Next on the chopping block, First Premier.

Congratulations! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

I am doing the same thing, have to call in couple days to close it too.

Now did you pay the full balance or paid more?

As i was reading some card holders paid the full balance and closed account and then after like 6,8 months they got some envolope that credit one was requesting to pay some fees that where not paid, even with acount closed.

Curios about this as i don't want surprises after is closed.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on this, I haven't closed mine out of fear of them messing up my credit out of spite.  I've heard stories about them doing some dirty stuff after they say they've closed it, like charge late fees and stuff like that

Message 6 of 13
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

As i was reading some card holders paid the full balance and closed account and then after like 6,8 months they got some envolope that credit one was requesting to pay some fees that where not paid, even with acount closed.

Thanks,

I had paid down to zero before the last statement cut.  When that statement cut last week, there was an interest charge posted from the previous balance.  I paid the interest charge and waited until the account zero'd out then called.  They will try to pressure you to stay with promises of breaking up the AF into 12 monthly payments, and they also dangled cash back from last year that I could get if I stayed with them.  I was firm, but polite.  I did ask if there would be any trailing interest and the CS rep said there would not.  I will be watching them through my online access, though to make sure nothing turns up.

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peazmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

Thanks,

I had paid down to zero before the last statement cut.  When that statement cut last week, there was an interest charge posted from the previous balance.  I paid the interest charge and waited until the account zero'd out then called.  They will try to pressure you to stay with promises of breaking up the AF into 12 monthly payments, and they also dangled cash back from last year that I could get if I stayed with them.  I was firm, but polite.  I did ask if there would be any trailing interest and the CS rep said there would not.  I will be watching them through my online access, though to make sure nothing turns up.

Thanks for that info.

Will be paying with in the next couple days , must have little time as i am moving but thanks for the advice how you done it.

I also have on my Chopping Block: First Premier $90 left, will be paying that too.

Let Us know on a new tread/post how that went too.

Thanks,

P.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To echo what was mentioned above, pay those cards to zero. Wait for the next statement and pay any trailing interest that shows up. Soon as a statement cuts with a true zero balance, close them on the spot.

Congrats to all of you doing this - closing cards from those banks is a great thing and I love that kind of happy ending. Onward to better cards now Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 13
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
To echo what was mentioned above, pay those cards to zero. Wait for the next statement and pay any trailing interest that shows up. Soon as a statement cuts with a true zero balance, close them on the spot.

Congrats to all of you doing this - closing cards from those banks is a great thing and I love that kind of happy ending. Onward to better cards now Smiley Happy

Thank you sir!  This whole rebuilding is certainly a marathon and not a sprint.  I'm learning so much along the way, and getting rid of the predatory cards is a biggie!

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.