Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devastated over Capital One :-(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Devastated over Capital One :-(

I have been working hard to rebuild my credit. I was first approved for QS1 about 10 months ago with a $300 limit, followed by Platinum ($500) and Spark ($500). I paid in full every time making multiple payments a month. My Platinum was upgraded to Quicksilver with a $2K limit in July and I also got a $1K for my Spark. QS1 got a little increase to $500. I never carried a balance and all these accounts reported as 0. 

Last Sat, I was distracted and entered a pay off balance for my Spark acct ($1400) and put in the 10th instead of the 15th. I discovered my mistake 2 hours later when I went in to also pay off my Q ($1800) and my Q1 ($250). I immediately called the business line to ask if they can change the date or the payment source since my mobile app won't let me (already processing). I was panicked because I knew that account had less than $500. He assured me that it will be ok. When the payment is returned I can the correct my mistake. I waited until it showed up on Thurs and I paid it in full immediately at 6 am. 

At around 4 pm, I logged on to look at something and they closed my account. The CSR people didn't know why so I had to call a separate Dept the next day. The reason given to me is because I bounced a payment. Never mind that this is the very first time and I have paid religiously since I've been rebuilding. He told me that my other accounts were fine. 

By Friday pm, all 3 accounts were closed leaving me devastated. I left on a business trip hoping to use my card (good thing I had $ set aside) and a son who is traveling for hockey (the Q1 was solely for his use). Again, I'm glad he had his debit card and some cash. 

Sorry for for the long post. I have been feeling down since this happened on Thursday. I don't know what impact this will have on my credit. I'm still on the low end (625-640) so once again, I'm stuck with Credit One and Verve which I got when my credit was in the 500's. I still have a BuyPower card but Cap One will probably closed that too. He worse part is that CSR told me (she was sympathetic) that I will NOT be allowed to open another Cap One account again in the future. 

Any my suggestions on how I can rebuild? I'm thinking of getting a $2500 secure card from B of A. Will I be able to get an authorized user on it?

Thank you all so much. I've been following everyone's advice here for almost a year now and it's really helped me out. 

***Ignore the typos as I'm on my cell phone. 

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

Sorry to read of your troubles. How's your TU CR and score? Navy Fed could be a good option for a non secured card.

Also for future reference, it's a good idea to have your main accounts setup with echeck-deposits.

That way you can quickly write and deposit a check in the account that's about to be overdrawn.

This has saved my skin once. It's good to have when stuff like this happens.

Message 2 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. My TU is 635 but I do have a couple ke of baddies that I'm paying off. Both are medical bills from the ER. 

The worse part of what happened is that I did have the $ to pay for it. Chase prohibits me from depositing $ that is not business related. I could have easily paid off the Spark acct and I even told CSR to change the payment source of the date couldn't be changed but he told me just to wait and that it wasn't a big deal. Apparently, it was. Cap One basically treated me like a deadbeat and didn't bother to look at my history with them. I've never missed a payment. Also, that payment that bounced wasn't even due until the 20th. I was just trying to set up and earlier payment via the app. :-(

Message 3 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In this case I would see if the Cap One EO can do anything (a much better example than asking for a CLI!).   Especially as the payment was not late at the time it bounced.

But be aware the having a payment returned is always a red flag for all issuers, regardless of history (all defaults/charge offs start off with the first one) so it may not be possible to override.  But worth a chance.

Message 4 of 64
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Dang! You need a financial institution that allows YOU to deposit money from your phone. Folks think I'm crazy for having 10 plus banking relationships..this is one of the reason's why.

How old are the medical bills? Medical bills don't hold much weight with certain lenders. Navy Federal in my experience is one such lender that looks pass that.

I'd try for a non secured card with them first. And then and only then would I go the secure route. If you've been clean the last year or so. I'd say you have a good shot. 

Message 5 of 64
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

It sucks that the CSR's have you bad information. I, too, would contact the EO about this.

For future reference, or for those reading who manage their finances exclusively via mobile app, the Cap1 account website allows you to edit and cancel upcoming payments. I'm talking about the real (desktop) website, not the mobile-friendly site.

Hopefully the EO will help you out!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 64
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:
It sucks that the CSR's have you bad information. I, too, would contact the EO about this.

For future reference, or for those reading who manage their finances exclusively via mobile app, the Cap1 account website allows you to edit and cancel upcoming payments. I'm talking about the real (desktop) website, not the mobile-friendly site.

Hopefully the EO will help you out!

Only if it hasn't started processing. If I set up a Cap One payment today, Effective today,  and two hours later try to change it, it will already be processing. That is what happened with the OP. What you describe  only works for payments that are not for the same day, or if you make changes immediately after setting up payment for "same day" payments. 

Message 7 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Can I apply for Navy Fed membership even if I don't have any affiliation?

re: depositing $. I could have easily done it from a personal account. Spark is business and is tied to my Chase which is business only. I don't deposit $ into the Chase account unless it's business related since I would then need to justify it when filing taxes. I have several personal accounts but just 1 business. 😕

Message 8 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you OP.
This is part of the reason so many on here stress the importance of diversifying lenders. Stuff happens, it's always good to have accts to fall back on.
Message 9 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that info. I wish I had known that. Live and learn I guess. 

Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.