Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devastated over Capital One :-(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

@Gmood1 wrote:

Don't let that hold you back. My GF has quite a few medical bill charge off's. No lie ..at least ten! 

Navy Fed approved her for her first non secured card less than 2 months ago. Her TU score was a 604. SL was $17,300 with a 9.9% APR. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. Lol

Gmood, can I become a member of Navy Fed without any military affiliation? Your post gives me hope. :-)

Message 21 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that info. I wish I had known that. Live and learn I guess. 

It's a lot harder to diversify when you have blemishes on your report though. Right now I only have Capital one(qs and venture) and chase freedom. Tried to get a citi Costco and was denied for derogatory info. I would be pretty upset if my Cap One cards were shut down, because my Freedom limit is small. So, now I just wait for the derogs to drop off, so I can "diversify". 2018 can't come quickly enough! I completely understand why you pretty much had all your eggs in one basket. Take care, OP.

Thanks Delaney! Cap One was the only "real" bank that would give me a card and that's why I had 3 with them. Hopefully they won't close my BuyPower which only has $500 limit although I don't think I'll be using that card after what I've been through. 

Message 22 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Can I apply for Navy Fed membership even if I don't have any affiliation?

re: depositing $. I could have easily done it from a personal account. Spark is business and is tied to my Chase which is business only. I don't deposit $ into the Chase account unless it's business related since I would then need to justify it when filing taxes. I have several personal accounts but just 1 business. 😕

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/bd-p/Retirement?cm_sp=mobile-_-menu-_-community

Go to the finance section. There are several threads about joining Navy fed through a donation.

Oops, I missed this post. I'll do that right now. 

Message 23 of 64
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also think reaching out to the EO would be worthwhile here (front line CSRs are absolutely useless and so are their "supervisors" for anything beyond the simple). I know bounced payments are the touch of death with any issuer, but given the circumstances, this was clearly an honest mistake: paying much more than the min, paying well before the due date, and calling CS within hours of realizing the error. Good luck.

I'm going to give it a shot. I understand them cancelling my cards if I were a serial "bouncer" who only paid minimum but I put through $5000+ through all those accounts every month and always paid it in full (numerous times a month). 

CSR gave me an address. Is there a number I can call? I'm even willing to take less CL if they re-open my account. 

I don't think you can call the EO any longer, don't even think the email can be given out on the forums. Google capital one executive office email, compare that with the email the CSR gave you, because you definitely want the EO, and not just a higher level CSR.

Message 24 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also think reaching out to the EO would be worthwhile here (front line CSRs are absolutely useless and so are their "supervisors" for anything beyond the simple). I know bounced payments are the touch of death with any issuer, but given the circumstances, this was clearly an honest mistake: paying much more than the min, paying well before the due date, and calling CS within hours of realizing the error. Good luck.

I'm going to give it a shot. I understand them cancelling my cards if I were a serial "bouncer" who only paid minimum but I put through $5000+ through all those accounts every month and always paid it in full (numerous times a month). 

CSR gave me an address. Is there a number I can call? I'm even willing to take less CL if they re-open my account. 

I don't think you can call the EO any longer, don't even think the email can be given out on the forums. Google capital one executive office email, compare that with the email the CSR gave you, because you definitely want the EO, and not just a higher level CSR.

Will do. I can't believe I'm this devastated. I've been in worse spot before but I think it's because I truly did everything in my power to do right by CAP one and been so vigilant with working on my credit. I'll just have to keep moving forward. 

I'm thinking of opening up a secured card with B of A so I can at least have one with $4K limit to replace what I've lost while I'm rebuilding. 

Message 25 of 64
creditguy
Valued Contributor

What a rough situation, very sorry to hear about this happening. I know you've worked hard to get to this point and it's got to feel like a major setback now. Well, as others suggested the EO is the best and only route to get this resolved. While they may not restore your accounts, I hope they at least lift the blacklist on you.

The ironic thing is you had a returned payment but truly intended to pay yet cap one shuts you down and shuts you out, now had you burned them for thousands of dollars in a BK you'd be more than likely welcomed back and treated with less disdain. One thing to take away from this experience is to not believe anything a frontline CSR says, they are very misinformed and hand out misinformation in some cases.

As others have suggested, take a look at NFCU, your scores are decent enough for a great card with a great SL and you can join with no military affiliation. Another idea is what you suggested and that is go for a BofA secured card, it's an excellent card. You've made a mistake and it cost you and it feels like crap, but don't let it get you down, it's just one lender and this may end up with a far happier ending in the long run, there's silver linings on thise dark credit clouds, work on the EO and applying for navy and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.
Message 26 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op, sorry this happened to you! Honest mistakes can happen to any of us. Now is the time to take action. 

1. Find the EO email and plead your case!! Let's try to get at least one of those accounts reopened! All would be best if possible. 

2. Join NFCU asap! There is a thread on this forum with a mountain of testimonies of rebuilders with SL that are 5k - 10k. 

I know your devastated.....but shake it off and get busy! You can come out of this BETTER than you went in! 

Good luck and keep us posted! 

Message 27 of 64
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Cap 1 EO E-mail Contact Info

If you have medical collections that you have NOT yet worked out a payment plan for and their CA is reporting on your CR

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Welcome to the board OP. Cap-1 is pretty easy to work with, good luck on getting it resolved thru the EO.

Message 28 of 64
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Although Capital One has its perks they are generally difficult to deal with when there's any sort of issue that needs to be solved. The frontline CSRs are not empowered whatsoever, and it is difficult to reach the EO (have to email, wait for a call, takes a few days, etc).

Message 29 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

You probably wont lose your buypower card, so just DO NOT say anything to them about it. The  GM card is a completely seperate division of capital one, hence why it is not logged into using capitalone.com. Technically C1 and another company own the GM card so it's not exclusively their card. I had all of my Capital One accounts canceled as well (for screaming cursing at someone from the executive office) over not posting my paper check for 19 days and making my account be reported 30 days late. They canceled a $5,000 credit line, a $10,000 venture and a $1500 platinum I've had forever. Good riddance they are a terrible company.

Message 30 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.