Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT vs. Chase Freedom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT vs. Chase Freedom

While we are in a Discover/Freedom thread, does anyone know the Q2 category for Discover? With Freedom, it's grocery stores and more, which is nice. If Discover does home improvement, dayammmm i'm going to have a good quarter!
Message 21 of 30
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
While we are in a Discover/Freedom thread, does anyone know the Q2 category for Discover? With Freedom, it's grocery stores and more, which is nice. If Discover does home improvement, dayammmm i'm going to have a good quarter!

Discover still hasn't announced the bonus categories for the rest of 2016.  I am impatiently waiting...

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 22 of 30
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover gives big credit limits via soft pulls every 6-8 weeks, and it can be done online. Their rewards are better (either chrome or regular IT) and they give a free fico score. But discover isn't taken everywhere so having a visa card is helpful. Chase freedom gives okay credit limits, and several auto credit line increases during the first few years, but after that you need to call in and it requries a hard pull. Plus chase always has 1 or 2 quarters with useless rewards like home improvement or public transportation. Plus their foreign transaction fees are 4% whereas capital one is 0%.

I pretty much use Discover for most purchases, Capital one for the few places that don't take Discover, cash at mom and pop stores, and ignore Freedom except using it once a month to keep it active despite Chase giving me my 2nd largest credit limit.

Public Transportation is useless? Umm I spend $116 a month alone on it. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Runitup wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no minimum dollar cash back threshold for Disco.  Last time I checked, it was $25 for Chase.

Anyone who doesn't want a card because it has a $25 minimum redemption might already have too many cards.

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both and they are great cards, Discover gives CLi more frequently than the Freedom card.  I used the BT feature on both and it takes approximately 3 to 4 days from start to finish for the transfer even though they say 7 to 10 business days.  You can't go wrong on either card!

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't own a Chase Freedom so I can't comment on it. I use my Discover IT for BTs mostly so it gets some
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a Freedom, so I can't comment on all of its benefits (although I do see them, mainly combining with a CSP for major, major travel rewards).

They're similar cards, to be sure, but Discover seems to be broader with the categories and Discover Deals make it invaluable particularly with the double cash back promo going on.  There is a $0.01 redemption minimum so even if your spend happens to be lower you can still cash out every month if you feel like it.  It has no FTF which may or may not be beneficial (if I were to go overseas I probably wouldn't use mine, though - I'd probably just stick to my QS1 instead because it's a MasterCard so it's more widely accepted).

The biggest downfall with Discover is that it doesn't itemize out your cash back on your statement.  This may or may not be as annoying to you as it is to me but it kind of drives me bananas, haha.

If you live in certain areas, Discover may not be accepted everywhere.  I personally do not have this problem - in the 14 months I've had mine I've only run into one place that didn't accept Discover and it's a local restaurant with just a small handful of locations.  In my area all four of the major networks are pretty much universally accepted but this is not the case nationwide so that could cause problems in some places.

Message 27 of 30
chbartel
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for both. I see more Disco love on these forums and was curious as to why? They seem very similar regarding rewards. It is customer service? Growth? Perks? I am hoping they do not have too many cross-over rewards rotations, but when they do, I would like to know which is better to use. (or does it matter?)

for me, the Discover is great during the first year becasue of the double cash back. AFter the 1st year, I can get the same rewards on other cards like SAms Mastercard, Blue Cash Preferred, etc.

So after 1st year, I don't know how much I will use this.  I will probably just have my wife app when my 2x goes away and then we will use her card next year.

The ground transportation came in handy during this quater during our trip to Vegas. Used uber a lot and getting double back is nice too.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT

In addition to the 2% first year cash back, the numerous deals and soft pull CLI not to mention the discover card just flat out looks better than the freedom,its a no brainer really.

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for both. I see more Disco love on these forums and was curious as to why? They seem very similar regarding rewards. It is customer service? Growth? Perks? I am hoping they do not have too many cross-over rewards rotations, but when they do, I would like to know which is better to use. (or does it matter?)

I have both cards. Just recently I changed my Disocver It to a Discover Chrome only because I don't use much of the 5% category either has. With the exception of gas, but I have a Cash Rewards PenFed card that always gets 5% back, so that is my gas card. I changed to Chrome because I'd rather have 2% back always for resturaunts with the Chrome.

As far as Customer Service goes, I have had very good service from both. Combined my Slate to my Freedom with the credit limit over to Freedom and the CSR did it within 3 minutes of being on the phone. Also, as mentioned Discover CLI requests are SP's.

I like, and have had good service from both.

I'm sure you'll love both.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.