Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

I have been gardening for the last 9 months and am starting to look at other cards now that my scores have gotten me out of the dreaded "Bucket".

Discover offered me a pre-approval as has American Express, The discover pre-approval is for the Cash Back IT card , for some reason it gave me 2 cards both with the IT cash back version with Identical terms, I couldnt find any differences amongst either card.

From what I have read on these boards discover is pretty good with CLI's, my question is what have you seen as the normal time frame for the first increase,  ( Is 6 months the standard?) and considering that I use my cards for everything and make multiple payments each month and make sure I carry a zero statement balance, is there any type of rhyme or reason to Discovers CLI's?

I am also going to apply for the Blue Cash and or Everyday card from American Express 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been gardening for the last 9 months and am starting to look at other cards now that my scores have gotten me out of the dreaded "Bucket".

Discover offered me a pre-approval as has American Express, The discover pre-approval is for the Cash Back IT card , for some reason it gave me 2 cards both with the IT cash back version with Identical terms, I couldnt find any differences amongst either card.

From what I have read on these boards discover is pretty good with CLI's, my question is what have you seen as the normal time frame for the first increase,  ( Is 6 months the standard?) and considering that I use my cards for everything and make multiple payments each month and make sure I carry a zero statement balance, is there any type of rhyme or reason to Discovers CLI's?

I am also going to apply for the Blue Cash and or Everyday card from American Express 

From what I have seen on the several threads I have read about discover, it seems to be around 3 months for your first increase. Then after that you can click the button as much as you want, I honestly just request the 1st of every month. I will say the 3 month rule seems pretty reliable in my case, as I write down whether I get an increase or not and so far the pattern does show, every 3 months my request is approved. It is only a sp most of the time. (if it isn't they will let you know before you continue)

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check my post with data points, received my first CLI in 70 days.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-Disco-Journey-w-data-points/td-p/5425276

Message 3 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No real pattern on cli with Discover. I was getting AJC Specials every 3 months or so for my first 2 years and now i cant get even a South Jamaica or Jago22 , Disco be cray craySmiley Wink
Message 4 of 5
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

I got my first one at around 3 months. They will be good to you, but you need to keep your balance low under 10%. Most I've seen are north of there when asking for a CLI and a denial.

Those are different cards. They have one that is a 5% rotating category and the other is 2% for fuel and restaurants. Then they are both 1% for everything else. At least that was the ones I got offered.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.