cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

EaglesWinLII
Contributor

Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

I have been gardening for the last 9 months and am starting to look at other cards now that my scores have gotten me out of the dreaded "Bucket".

Discover offered me a pre-approval as has American Express, The discover pre-approval is for the Cash Back IT card , for some reason it gave me 2 cards both with the IT cash back version with Identical terms, I couldnt find any differences amongst either card.

From what I have read on these boards discover is pretty good with CLI's, my question is what have you seen as the normal time frame for the first increase,  ( Is 6 months the standard?) and considering that I use my cards for everything and make multiple payments each month and make sure I carry a zero statement balance, is there any type of rhyme or reason to Discovers CLI's?

I am also going to apply for the Blue Cash and or Everyday card from American Express 

8/19 FICO 8 TU 724 EX 712 EQ 698

FICO 9 EX 737
Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BrokenCredit
Contributor

Re: Discover Pre-Approval Quick Question

@EaglesWinLII wrote:

I have been gardening for the last 9 months and am starting to look at other cards now that my scores have gotten me out of the dreaded "Bucket".

Discover offered me a pre-approval as has American Express, The discover pre-approval is for the Cash Back IT card , for some reason it gave me 2 cards both with the IT cash back version with Identical terms, I couldnt find any differences amongst either card.

From what I have read on these boards discover is pretty good with CLI's, my question is what have you seen as the normal time frame for the first increase,  ( Is 6 months the standard?) and considering that I use my cards for everything and make multiple payments each month and make sure I carry a zero statement balance, is there any type of rhyme or reason to Discovers CLI's?

I am also going to apply for the Blue Cash and or Everyday card from American Express 

From what I have seen on the several threads I have read about discover, it seems to be around 3 months for your first increase. Then after that you can click the button as much as you want, I honestly just request the 1st of every month. I will say the 3 month rule seems pretty reliable in my case, as I write down whether I get an increase or not and so far the pattern does show, every 3 months my request is approved. It is only a sp most of the time. (if it isn't they will let you know before you continue)

Message 2 of 5
Dsteudlein
Valued Member

Check my post with data points, received my first CLI in 70 days.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-Disco-Journey-w-data-points/td-p/5425276

Starting Score: 471
Current Score: 713
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Flagship 15,000
NFCU GO rewards 6,500
NFCU CASH rewards 4,000
Discover IT 4,000
AMEX Blue Cash 7,000
AMEX Gold Delta 6,000
Cap One Plat 501
Indigo 300
First Premier 400
Kay Jewelers 1,000
Fingerhut 1,800
NY&Co 400
Victoria's Secret 350
J Crew 250
New Coast Direct 5,000
Message 3 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Mega Contributor

No real pattern on cli with Discover. I was getting AJC Specials every 3 months or so for my first 2 years and now i cant get even a South Jamaica or Jago22 , Disco be cray craySmiley Wink
Message 4 of 5
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

I got my first one at around 3 months. They will be good to you, but you need to keep your balance low under 10%. Most I've seen are north of there when asking for a CLI and a denial.

Those are different cards. They have one that is a 5% rotating category and the other is 2% for fuel and restaurants. Then they are both 1% for everything else. At least that was the ones I got offered.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.